One

I USED TO want to save the world, this beautiful place, but I knew so little them

I USED TO want to save the world, this beautiful place, but I knew so little them. It is a land of magic and wonder worth cherishing in every way.

But the closer you get, the more you see the great darkness simmering within. And mankind? Mankind is another story altogether. What one does when faced with the truth is more difficult than you think.

I learned this the hard way. A long, long time ago. And now, I will never be the same. In my youth, well over a millenia ago, I learned the horrors of man.

When I wasn't training with my sisters in arms or getting lessons in the castle, doing magic, I was flying through the air or swiming in the water. It was where I had my quiet, but that is when man came. The savages of the lands outside.

It was the first and only war of Themyscira, but I had killed man, and I had watched my sisters be killed.

While I had never been naive to my heritage, I had never known war. While the Amazons were warriors, we did not have wars.

It has been almost ten years since the ripple crossed the barrier, and it is almost time for me to return to Man's World, for the first time since I was Azalea.

I will not start aging until after I leave the barrier, that is the burden I have shouldered, I cannot age, until I leave, but I will stop aging at seventeen. It's a spell Hecate placed on me all those years ago.

I sigh once more looking down at the clear water below the cliff edge I sit on. I do not know much about Man's World, only that it isn't as pure or beautiful as Themyscira. I do know some to an extent, but my dreams only tell me so much.

The sound of a horse slowing nearby is what cause me to look up. This is Antiope, my aunt. "What's wrong, Diana?" She asked as she got down. She sat next to me and I frown looking out at the water.

"I leave at dawn. I do not wish to return to Man's World." I told her softly and she placed a hand on my shoulder.

"We all have a destiny, Diana. You will return to Man's World, and you will show then that Diana Potter-Black will not bow to demands." Antiope smiles and I nod standing and offering her my hand.

She gets up and nods back to the castle and I nod following her to the horse.

*******