04. Up Late

"I been crushing on you
We can fake watch the news, if you like it
Up late again
Head on my chest, hand on my ass
Up late again
Back it up on you, breathing fast"
- Ari Lennox

"I been crushing on youWe can fake watch the news, if you like itUp late againHead on my chest, hand on my assUp late againBack it up on you, breathing fast"- Ari Lennox

"Careem? I have a job proposal for you. If you're interested in hearing about it." He glanced up at me from the jar of Shea butter he was using to moisturize his body and slowly nodded his head.

"As long as it's nothing illegal."

"Of course not." I assured him while watching him work the moisturizer into his arms. He had just gotten out of the shower after putting the girls to bed in the guest room that Brianna chose earlier.

"It'll be a legit title and legit pay as well? I'm working on gaining custody of Brianna and I'm not going to be able to do that if it's under the table pay."

"It's definitely legit." I answered his first question, deciding I'll bring up what he said about Brianna at another time since I didn't want to jump subjects.

"You know how I'm trying to expand my family's company out here, but I don't know much of anything about the states let alone the Bay Area. I wanted to know if you would like to be my official business consultant. The exact title would be the Chief Operating Officer. I've already unofficially consulted you on a handful of things, but I feel like there's so much insight and knowledge that you have that will be very beneficial to my business." I watched as he pulled a pair of sweatpants over his boxers and sat down at the foot of the bed, still in contemplation. I decided I would throw out the perks because I technically already have him listed as an employee. This isn't really an opportunity that people say no to.

"I'll work around your school schedule. Starting salary would be two hundred and fifty thousand. It is on the low end for that exact role, but since you don't have hands on experience in the field I think that's a fair starting pay. I'll guide you and teach you what you need to know, and once we get things up and running the salary will definitely grow with the role. If you need time to think about it that's fine as well. Just don't let this opportunity pass you up, because it is a really great opportunity and you're the first person I've met that I feel that I can trust with something like this."

"What do you want from me, Nia? Honestly." I didn't want to tell him that he was the first person that made me feel normal because then I would have to explain my mental health issues to him and I want to keep that away from him for as long as I can. I don't think about my issues when he's around. Not about the numerous medications I'm on, and I never feel judged when he's around. I'm actually super on top of taking my meds so he never has to experience that side of me. Yet, we haven't known each other that long for me to be that open and vulnerable with him, even if I wanted to. If I could help it I wouldn't want him ever knowing about all of my issues.

"You have the knowledge, the drive, and I feel calm around you. You don't annoy me and that's key to being in business with me. This is a mutually beneficial deal for the both of us. No, I'm not looking at you as a charity case if that's what you're concerned about. Charity isn't even my thing. It's also a plus that I'm attracted to you, and no I don't believe in mixing business with pleasure but I don't see this going bad. Which also isn't the best because I'm the least optimistic person I know. I just-" I stopped and released a sigh when I noticed I was rambling again. "Careem, I'm taking a gamble here. If you don't want to take it with me that's fine. I'm hoping that you will though."