23. first date

Adriano stands nervously as he waits for the love of his life to descend the stairs

               Adriano stands nervously as he waits for the love of his life to descend the stairs. He wasn't sure how she'd react to the shoe box of notes or how she'd react to his anxious fiddling with his cuffs or his suit lapels or the fact that he'd put hours of effort into his appearance just to not wear it in his face as well as he would've liked to.

This would be their first date. His first date in years. His first date with the woman he's loved for almost a decade. After she confessed her feelings first.

It almost felt too good to be true — especially the past few days. Their relationship was blossoming into something beautiful, something he'd hoped and prayed for everyday since freshman year in college.

And the letters. Needless to say, he was mostly anxious about how she'd react to the fact that he's been writing her love letters since the day they met. He knows that last year he told Domenico that he didn't feel the way he does for his best friend but even then, he knew he was lying.

The notes were hiding in his closet in Vegas at that point.

Moments pass after he sends the text, then finally he hears Adalena's heels against the steps as she descends the staircase. It was late, the babies off to sleep and the parents following, allowing Adalena and Adriano the space to themselves.

But, he has other plans.

He watches in awe as she approaches him, a wide smile on her face as she looks down at the envelope in her hand. She slides the leaf of papers between her fingers coyly before she looks up to meet his gorgeous hazel gaze.

She raises the hand with the envelope and waves it playfully, "You were always the cheesy type of romantic."

Adriano rolls his eyes and chuckles, "I expected nothing less than that highest compliment." When she finally leaves the final step, he takes her hand into his and pulls her into his warm chest.

She stares up at him with mild eyes. "I blame the baby. They're making me soft."

He smirks, "That was you being soft? You wounded my ego, amore."

She scoffs in amusement before cradling his face with her manicured hands and pulling him down into a kiss, "You'll get over it."

With that, he pulls her out of his hold and takes in her entire outfit, more specifically what's under it. Her entire body seemed to start accommodating and adjusting for the life that is growing within it.

Adriano had seen it with Farrah, yet still he was nervous and excited to see how Adalena's journey would go. All he can do is pray every night for a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby and mother at the end of the day.

Other than that, she's glowing, even under the dim lighting of the foyer.

"You look stunning." He says, tone sincere and low-toned as he means every single word of what he says.