25.

Author's Note: There was a large revision/rewrite made to chapter 24, so if you haven't read that chapter since it was updated on August 30th, 2022, I suggest you head back to that chapter before continuing on!

___

Scotty.

"Stop that. You look suspicious." Beck scolds me as I scan our surroundings for the tenth time since walking out of the venue. Harry's security team stood guard around the buses for guaranteed safety, but knowing Ciaran is loitering around the lot somewhere has my stomach in knots.

"Sorry, I'm just... nervous." I confess, despite knowing she shares my same fears.

"There's not much we can do about it tonight. We'll figure something out tomorrow." She tries to reassure, putting on her tough, badass persona, but I can tell by the troubling frown that's been present since I broke the news that she's equally terrified.

"What are the odds?" The pieces of the puzzle won't come together no matter which way I look at it.

"Scotty, chill." Beck stops in front of our bus, throwing her hands onto my shoulders. "It's a fucked up situation and we're going to have to tiptoe around her as long as she's around, but we'll figure it out." She rattles my body a few times like she's trying to knock some sense into me. "Today was a weird day and there's nothing we can do about it right now. Let's get some sleep and tomorrow, we can try and figure out what her motives are. Deal?"

I put my hands on her forearms to bridge us together and finally nod after listening to her spiel. "Deal." She was good at being the voice of reason. My blood pressure would be a lot higher if she wasn't around.

"Good." She pulls away from me and climbs up the steps to our bus. We're headed to Madison Square Garden bright and early in the morning, but instead of staying in the hotel rooms and having to wake up early to load, Joel convened with the tour manager, and they both agreed that it would be best to load us on the buses tonight and transport us in the early hours to maximize rest since it's only about a fifteen minute drive from tonight's venue. "Holy shit."

My eyes dart up the stairs to try to see what she's reacting to, stomach turning as the worst scenarios run through my head like a set of movie trailers. "What? What's wrong?" My brows furrow as I follow her into the interior of our bus after triple checking that the lock on the door was tightly fastened.

"I don't know how you've held off from dating Niall for so long." Beck revives a conversation we've had a million times out of the blue.

"That was random." I respond, but as soon as I make it up the stairs, I see a bouquet of flowers carefully arranged on the kitchen table with a note card attached and a large gift basket filled with an assortment of goodies. "Or maybe it wasn't..." I laugh as butterflies tickle my stomach. "Don't scare me like that again."

"You've got to be fucking kidding me." Beck wears a goofy grin as she picks up the note card. "This man has gotten you flowers every Monday since you met without fail, even while in the hospital." She skims over the card, elbowing my arm with excitement. A low hum clears her voice, her eyes darting up to mine after silently reading the card.

"For being a rose petal in a garden of thorns." Beck's eyes softened as she read aloud his message, cupping a hand over her heart. "Marry him. Right fucking now." She was dead serious; I could see it all over her expression.

"Just a few more weeks." I tease, knowing she wants us together just as much as Niall and I want to be together. It's honestly amazing that she hasn't designed a Team Niall t-shirt yet.

"He still has to do his probationary exam to see if he qualifies to stay out on the field." Beck reminds, though hers is schedule for the coming weeks as well. In true Beck fashion, she channels her anxiety into her training and will use her stressors to her advantage.