Chapter 1

The blazing midday sun shone relentlessly on the families picnicking in the park opposite my compound. The recently swept pavement shimmered in the heat of the midday sun. The sunlit skyscrapers pierced the hot, blue sky. The afternoon sun bathed the buildings in its warm light. I was bored at home and felt a sudden urge to go adventuring. I ran down the nicely polished marble stairs of my simple bungalow. "Mum! Can I go exploring in an area nearby?" I beseeched. Mother nodded, but asked me to pack some snacks to bring along. After packing some nibbles, my phone, and my water bottle, I set off. As I walked further into what at first seemed to be a couple bushes, I found myself lost, in a forest. I turned on my phone and tried to find out where I was. However, I could not locate myself on the map and finally decided that I was on uncharted grounds. I continued walking. As I walked past a dense bushy area, I saw something shimmering in the sun and could not resist the impulse to investigate it further. As I fought my way through the bushes, I realized that I was probably just dreaming. All I saw were vines, in front of me, hanging from who knew where. Disappointed, I turned away. A gust of wind blew, hard and strong, and the vines were swept to the side. A wooden door was revealed, and curiously, I pushed the door with all my might.