Dear Diary, 12

#TD12

"Kai," I called, breaking the silence between us. We're inside the car now, on our way home from work. It was another hectic day and coming home with him, I felt at ease.

"Yeah?"

But there's something I've always wanted to ask him eversince we became officially lawyers.

"Your dad. Um, hindi naman siya katulad nila 'no?" I asked. My voice sounded tired and unsteady. I was nervous for his answer as well

I caught his eyes on me as I was staring outside the window. It was already dark outside. Some cars were passing by.

"What do you mean?"

"You told me na...nadamay lang siya kaya siya nakulong. You told me he was just a suspect. Hindi naman siguro malala yung ginawa niya di ba? Baka kaya siya nakulong kasi..alam mo naman yung justice system dito sa bansa. Hindi makatarungan. I mean, he didn't have a lawyer either so..." I smiled to ease the tension

"Do you think he's really innocent?" he asked

"I don't know know. I can't tell.."

"You don't know or you just refuse to believe the truth?" He looked at me when the light's turned red

My lips parted while looking at him. "You tell me Keith. Isn't this the reason why you studied law? To set your father free? You wouldn't do all of this if you think he's guilty. Why does it feel like your having doubts?"

He swallowed hard and shifted his attention back to the road. The cars started to move and he shortly began to drive. The ride was slow and I can feel the tension between us rising.

"If by any chance he's guilty, would you...stay away from me?"

I wasn't able to answer him right away. I was caught off guard by his question.

"Tris.."

I sighed. "We don't know the truth yet."

"But what if I told you I already know? What if my dad is a bad person. Lalayuan mo ba ako? Would you still stay with me?" his voice was calm yet tensed. His leg was tapping uncontrollably. Must be anxious with ny answer

"I promised you and to myself that I'll never leave your side no matter what. May it be ride or die. We'll stick with each other."

His head lowered down a bit relieved. "I need you Trisha."

My heart ached. I saw no hope in his eyes anymore, like he's close to giving up. Gusto kong palakasin ang loob niya.

I smiled then gently tapped his thigh to stop it from shaking. He eventually calmed down. "We'll be okay Keith. We'll be okay.."

***

"Congratulations Atty. Lopez. I've watched your trial last week. You did well kahit na baguhan ka palang. As your professor before, I'm very proud of you and to Atty. Sanchez as well."

I smiled at my prof, Atty. Mercado. "Thank you po Sir. Lahat naman po ng naituro niyo sa'kin ay naiapply ko po ngayon sa trabaho ko. Right now, I still can't believe I'm a lawyer!"

"You really are following your father's footsteps. Sabi ko naman sa'yo noon, kayang kaya mo. You just have to trust yourself." He then took a sip from his coffee. "How is it going with his case?"

"Uhm, I'm still thoroughly investigating it with the help of an Attorney. It's a very old case so it might take long to retrieve some information. I will not stop until I find the light at the end of this tunnel."

He nodded. "If you need help, andito lang din ako."

"Thank you po. Kamusta naman po kayo? Nagtuturo pa rin po ba kayo sa UP?" I asked then took a bite of my cheesecake