Chapter 4

-Aria Luciano-
-10 years ago-

Sitting at the table with my dad, Antonio, and Luca wearing my green sunflower dress with black flats.

I sit beside Luca who hates me so much for literally no reason.

Nothing ever happened between us and I never hurted him.

Never understood the hatred he had towards me.

I always wanted to be his friend but he never even kept room for negotiations.

Maybe because I'm 13 and he's 16?

I don't know man.

My dad told me whenever I'm ready to finally join the mafia of his I can, but honestly, I don't think I'm ready.

I'm still young, that's what he says.

I stare at Gianni and Antonio who sit next to each other laughing and talking together. As I it next to a pissed Luca.

"Do you know how to shoot with a gun?" I ask Luca with a cheeky smile.

He just sits there and acts as if I never said anything.

You know what? I quit trying to talk to this nasty ass dude.

"Excuse me." Luca says as he gets up from the table.

"Where are you going?" Antonio asks with a raised eyebrow.

"To the river." Luca says through his teeth.

"Kids." Antonio says rolling his eyes.

The river is a close place to our house; directly after our garden. I always go there to rest and put my mind in a peaceful place with no people surrounding me.

I still didn't get over my mom's death. I never got to meet her in real life but from what my dad tells us.

Adelina was killed and no one knows how.

Dad has been seeking revenge ever since day one. Antonio informed us that Adelina was dead and that he found her slaughtered on the streets.

I never got to see her. I wish I had the time to say goodbye.

Antonio told me that he didn't let me tell her goodbye and see her last time because she was very much tortured and showered with blood.

Honestly, I thank god I didn't actually see her, it sounds scary.

Antonio is a very nice man, he always gets me candy and ice cream; he was like my second dad.

When my mom wasn't here to take care of us he did.

My dad couldn't take care of me because he had to keep the mafia under control and from Antonio's side Luca learned how to rule at the age of 11 so he kept everything under control.

I reach for a piece of bread and spread cream cheese on top of it wondering why Luca left.

I eat my bread alone as I watch my dad and Antonio have fun together as I sit alone.

"Excuse me, please." I say as I wipe my hands with a napkin.

"Woah easy kid, where are you going?" Gianni asks.

"To the bathroom." I say as he shakes his head and goes back to the conversation with
Antonio.

I reach the main door of the house and open it very quietly without making any noise.

I slightly open it and go out as I close it again quietly.

I pass next to the garden and pick out a 𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙛𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙧 as I hurry to reach the river. As soon as I reach it I find a frame sitting down near the river while throwing pebbles into the water.

I go to sit beside him as his hazel eyes turn to look directly into mine.

"Here I got you a 𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙛𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙧." I reach out to him.

He takes it from my small fingers and throws it into the river as the water takes it with her.

I pout and sit next to him calmly. I will never understand why this boy hates me this much.

What did I ever do to him?

Maybe he hates me because his dad took care of me more than he took care of him?

"You know, I always hated school even tho I was the first in my class. I don't think school is meant for me honestly." I start.

"Do I look like I give two fucks?" he spat as he looked at me with hunger in his eyes.

I zoom in front of him at his sudden burst of anger. I start crying.

"Oh for god's sake grow up." he says rolling his eyes.

"I hate you!" I say through my desperate tears.

Then things twist.

He pushes me into the river as I try to hold onto his hands for dear life, but I miss them.

I don't know how to swim.

I start squirming in the water trying to find a way out but the speediness of the water controls me.

The river takes me down with it as I try to find something to hold onto.

I reach for a tree next to me as I try to hold it for dear life.

My tears stopped as I just witnessed something very scary.

I push myself up as I get on my knees my dress and showers soaked with water.

Game on, fucking Luca.

I find my way back home, push the door open and reach my dad.

"What the fuck happened to you?!" my dad asks standing up from his seat.

"Teach me how to be in the mafia." I say with fire in my eyes.