Chapter 3

I got home about 11:45, and went straight to bed. The next morning, I woke up at 7. Why the hell I did that for Rider, I will never know. I quickly showered, and braided my hair, then threw a 5SOS shirt, dark jeans, and my gray Vans. I braided my long hair back, because I was too lazy to actually do something with it, and I don't wear makeup, so I never worry about it to begin with.

Once I got to Rider's house, 2 minutes early, I might add, I knocked on his door. Before I could put my arm down, he had the door open and in a huge hug.

"Bro. Calm down. I literally saw you, like, seven hours ago." I struggle to pull him off me. He locks with me.

"But I was a jerk last night. And I was a little tipsy. Now I'm very happy because this hangover is not kicking my ass." He says with a smirk. When my eyes finally leave his, I find myself roaming his body. He has in a black fitted tee shirt, which hugs his chest and shoulders, khaki shorts, but not cargo, and Nike shoes.

"Like what you see?" He says with the cockiness only he could say.

"Yeah. I'm looking at the food behind you." I say, and shove him as I take off towards the kitchen. Before I can even get into to kitchen, Rider has his arms around my waist, and is pulling me back.

"What the hell, Rider! You promised me food!" I'm screaming like a 4-year-old, but I don't care.

"Damn! Calm the fuck down, Sterling! You're going to hurt you and me!" He grunts, and his grip loosens just enough. I elbow his gut, and take off again. This time I do make it to the kitchen, only to be met by a gorgeous woman, who probably is close to fifty, but she looks 35. She is a woman version of Rider, except shorter than his 6'3.

She laughs, and she has a beautiful voice. "Rider, you really need to learn how to treat a lady. I really hope your father and I have taught you better."

"Shit."

"Language."

"Sorry."

The kitchen is gorgeous. It's really big. With a beautiful mint color on the walls. Open cupboards, white, and stainless steel appliances. There a white island in the middle of the kitchen, with three black bar stools in front of it. And a rack filled with pots and pans over it.

I'm still standing there. Rider and his mother look at me, Rider with embarrassment, and his mother with joy.

She clears her throat. "You'll have to excuse him, Sterling. He obviously doesn't know how to act around beautiful young ladies. I'm Elena, and that's what you will call me." She says it with a sternness that still is calm and welcoming.

"Thank you, Elena."

"No problem. Now. I was told this boy promised you breakfast?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Alright." She turns to Rider. "Rider. Get your ass to the pantry. I hope you know how to cook. I apologize ahead of time, Sterling, for his lack of skill."

"Mom. I thought you would cook for us, since you're so good at it." He says, trying and failing to say it innocently, and admiringly.

I roll my eyes. "Elena, I can cook. Just point me to the pantry, and I'll try to teach him a thing or two."

She laughs and shows me everything. She then goes out to the back deck with a book, and a cup of tea. Once I begin everything, Rider sits down at the island.

"Oh hell no, Rider. Get your ass up. You promised me breakfast, and you're going to help me cook. You mix that batter. When you're done, start chopping the fruits I don't finish."

We work in silence. After about 15 minutes, we have our breakfast. Chocolate chip pancakes for both of us. Blueberries on his, and strawberries on mine. He also makes us French toast. He sits down, takes a bite. And stops.

"What's wrong with it? Are you okay? What?"

"Holy shit Sterling these are fucking awesome." And he digs in.

"Language." His mother walks in. She sees him eating. "Holy shit Sterling. What did you do? He never eats my food like that."

Rider locks eyes with me. "She's got a gift mom."

She rolls her eyes. "Whatever Rider. Nice to know you appreciate me. Anyway, what are you guys doing today?"

At the same time, I say "tutoring" and he says "surfing."

I raise my eyebrows at him. "No. Tutoring."

"No. Surfing this morning. You know how? We'll tutor later." He says.

"No. I don't know how to surf." I roll my eyes.

He runs off to wherever, and I put the dishes in the sink and clean up the mess we made.

Rider strides in with a two black wetsuits on. "Get your pretty ass in this and meet me outside."

I roll my eyes again. "One hour. Then we study."

"You got it."

I change into my wetsuit, and meet Rider, who has two gorgeous surfboards. One white and light blue. School colors. Of course. And the other one is white and red.

"Let's teach you how to surf, Sterling." He smirks.