ii.

"What time does class start, Mav?" Goose asked, looking up from his spot on the couch.

Maverick glanced at the clock on the wall. "We've got 20 minutes. It starts at 14:30."

After having taken a shower, Maverick and Goose sat in one of the few small lounge areas. None of the other pilots from earlier were around, which Maverick found a little strange.

"Soooo..." Goose started, picking at a patch on his uniform. "What do you think about Arrow and Raven?"

Maverick thought for a minute. He'd only seen the pair in action once, it wasn't much to go off of. "I don't know. They're good, but it's only the first day. We've got a while left with them."

Goose rolled his eyes. "Well duh, but I mean besides piloting. Whaddya think?"

Oh. He was talking about as people.

"They seem cool," Maverick shrugged. "Raven sounds funny."

A giggle left Goose, and Maverick assumed he was thinking about the shit pilot story.

"Oh yeah, that guy cracks me up. I bet he's got a bunch of stories from the Atlantic. But," Goose's expression suddenly turned serious. "Arrow." He raised an eyebrow, very closely watching his friend's body language.

Maverick shifted uncomfortably. "I don't know, I haven't talked to her much. She seems cool too."

"Aw come on, that can't be all you have to say!" Goose cried. "You guys were talking all the way to the showers. You haven't gotten any idea of what she's like?"

"Of what who's like?" a voice asked, coming from the door way to the lounge.

Both Maverick and Goose looked up to see Raven walking in, freshly showered.

His hair, Maverick noticed, was much more unruly. There was clearly no gel in it.

He smiled at the thought.

"Your pilot, buddy, tell us what she's like," Goose said, rather bluntly.

Raven smirked. "Why? You wanna know if she's date material?"

"Oh not for me, I'm married," Goose snorted. "For my bud Maverick over there."

"Goose!" Maverick scolded. "I don't care about that, I was just wondering what she's like. Since she's new, you know."

Raven took a seat next to Goose, crossing his legs. "Well, like she mentioned she's from Seattle. Everyone at Cherry Point was a little apprehensive, I think. None of us had flown with a female pilot before. I needed a new pilot, obviously, because Stormbreaker shit himself and I wasn't going to deal with that. Our commander paired us up and we've been flying together for a little over two years.

"She's pretty funny, and I mean, she's an awesome pilot. I'm not gonna lie, though, Chris could beat your ass if she wanted to. Probably wouldn't do it, but she could."

Maverick thought about this for a few moments. "Well, I guess that's good to know."

Raven shrugged. "There's not really much else to say. You'd just have to get to know her."

"I bet he'd love to do that," Goose sniggered.

Maverick hit the RIO over the head. "You're insane."

Raven laughed at the exchange. "Well, class is about to start right? 14:30? It's 14:24 right now."

Maverick and Goose pulled themselves up, Raven following close behind.

"Any idea what we're up to?" Goose asked, sticking his hands in his pockets.