iii.

As it so happened, Go Fish was not on anyone's radar. The group settled on rummy, and, it turns out, Arrow was quite good.

Out of the many games they played, Arrow beat the boys in almost all.

Even Maverick, who was itching to get out of the base, had a good time.

Making small talk was his favorite part. Getting to know the pilots from the east a little more was fun.

As it turns out, Raven had a girlfriend back in North Carolina. They were planning to get married when he returned from Top Gun.

Arrow, on the other hand, informed the group she didn't have anyone in Seattle or North Carolina.

"Nah, just me," she had said. "My parents are getting on in years, I asked for a short leave to get things sorted out with them in a few months."

Maverick's heart ached as he thought about his own parents. Especially his dad. He didn't want to dampen the mood, though, so he put on a flashy smile and dealt the next hand.

"Hey Mav, check the time, will ya?" Goose asked, stretching out next to his pilot.

"Damn, you've gotta get yourself a watch," Arrow commented. "That's like the third time today I've heard you ask for the time."

Goose shook his head. "Second. Second time. You weren't here when I asked him this morning." A grin spread across his face at the look of disbelief on Arrow's.

"You're crazy."

"Thank you, darlin'."

"Woah there, Goose, make sure Carole doesn't hear you say stuff like that," Maverick teased, knowing full well Goose had only been joking.

Still, Goose feigned offence. "Gee buddy, I can't believe you think I'm bein' serious! A man with a wife and a kid, shame on you. I would never."

Raven snickered from the couch across the table, and Arrow attempted, quite poorly, to stifle a giggle.

"How long have you guys known each other?" Arrow asked, her face still pink from containing laughter.

Goose put his arm around Maverick and dropped his head to his friend's shoulder. "Man, how long has it been honey? Beginning of flight school?"

Maverick grinned and grabbed Goose's other hand, interlocking their fingers. "Sounds about right. Almost the anniversary, I think."

"Congrats," Raven smiled. "We'll be sure to pick up some gifts, right Arrow?"

"Of course. Let us know a date and a time and we'll be there, okay?"

Goose lifted his head and pulled his hand away. "Sorry, my love, I gotta take a piss."

The others laughed as Goose hopped up and headed out the door.

"You guys crack me up," Arrow sighed, a hint of a laugh still in her voice.

Maverick looked out the door after where Goose had ran. "He's a special guy."

"Sounds like you are too," Arrow commented, stretching her tired limbs. "You never answered his question, though, what time is it?"

A fake frown crossed Maverick's face and he held his hand to his heart. "You hurt me, you really do."

Raven nudged Arrow with his elbow. "You need to get yourself a watch. You and Goose both."

"Shut up."

Maverick looked down at his own wristwatch. "Damn, almost 8. If we wanna have some fun, we should probably go out now. Since we gotta be back by 23:00, you know."