Chapter Eight

Grayson's POV

My head was spinning as I opened my eyes, immediately closing them again due to the brightness above me. This time when I opened them I let them adjust to the light. I wasn't sure what I expected to see, but the sky was a surprise.

My brain flooded with thoughts as I slowly remembered what had happened. "DJ…" I mumble as I push myself to a sitting position.

I wince as pain rushed through my whole body. Everything felt sore and every movement brought a sharp sting. I grinded my teeth together as I stood up. 

I paused taking in my surroundings, I wondered how I had survived. I must've washed up on the other side of the water. I just hoped that it wasn't hard to get back. 

The kids needed me. For all I know they could be dead. I forced my feet to take steps forward, wincing at the tightness in my muscles. 

I walked a little ways more, reaching the end of a clearing, and the beginning of a forest. My journey continued and I only became more confused about where I was. 

I paused in my steps as a voice traveled through the woods. I listened closer to try and make out what the voice was saying and was able to hear my name. Someone was calling my name.

I hurried in the direction of it, hoping that maybe it was the kids or DJ, or someone else from the town. Maybe the kids got back and now they're searching for me. The closer I got the more distinct the voice became. 

Part of me recognized it, but I couldn't figure out who it was. When I finally spotted the figure belonging to the voice, my heart dropped.

There she stood, her eyes locked with mine, a soft smile on her face. I felt my body go rigid with confusion and despair, as she walked toward me.

"I've been waiting for you Grayson," she said as she stood right in front of me. Her hand cupped my cheek, her finger brushing over my bruised face. "I was worried I wouldn't see you again."

I was frozen, I didn't have anything to say. Anything I could say at least. I opened my mouth and closed it. I was positive that if I even tried to speak, only a shaky voice would come. 

"How...how?" I whispered my voice cracking in between words.

"I got out before the explosion, I went a different route," she explained with her other hand clasping mine, "I barely got out unscathed." She gave me a soft smile, her finger wiping away the tears streaming down my face. 

"It's been months…" I respond, my hand reaching up and covering hers.

"I know, I didn't know where you were. I've been looking for you, but I couldn't find you. Instead, you found me."

I let a soft smile come to my face as I pulled her in for a hug. "We thought you were dead...I thought you were dead. I thought I'd never see you again."

"Well here I am," she whispered in my ear, hugging me back, "and I'm not going anywhere."

I held her for what felt like forever, I didn't want to ever let her go. Afraid that she might disappear.

She let out a breathy laugh and pulled away smiling up at me. "Come on," she said as she held my hand, starting to lead us away from the woods.

I couldn't do much but just stare at her. She was alive. I'm not alone anymore. I was entranced by her beauty even more now that I knew what losing her felt like. I promised myself I'd never lose her again.

She led us to a large clearing with flowers. One that looked oddly like the one back at our original camp. Except there was a small house in the middle, a little log cabin. 

I couldn't help myself from thinking about a new possible life here. Everything looked so perfect in this clearing, with the cabin, and her. I couldn't ask for more. My mind had solely focused on her, the hope and happiness of her return covering everything else. 

We entered the cabin and the smell of a fresh meal filled my nose. I closed my eyes taking it in as I looked around the homely cabin. She led us down a hall and towards a dining room. Along the table, there were plates full of food I hadn't seen in a long while.

I smiled at the food-covered plates. And without much of a thought, I joined her at the table. Everything here was just as it should be. We talked as we ate and it felt like old times.

Me and her together felt right. 

As we finished up and I was taking the plates to the kitchen, I started washing them up in the sink. I smiled as I watched the water flowing from the sink onto the dirty plates. I paused as I looked out the window and saw what looked like a figure. 

When I didn't see it again for a minute I shrugged and looked back down to the plates. My eyes widened in slight horror as the clear water was now a deep red. I dropped the plate, stepping back and bumping into the counter.

I looked down at my hands and saw that they were stained with a red color. I felt my breathing pick up as I glanced back up at the sink that was now running clear water. Then when I looked back at my hands, there was no red stain. 

I let out a sigh. Maybe I was losing my mind, and imagining things. I let out a light laugh of relief. I reached towards the sink, turning the faucet off, and looking up to the window.

I smiled when I saw her outside picking flowers, forgetting about what had just happened. I headed outside to join her, not finding her in the spot she was.

I called her name and tried to find her walking around the clearing. I glanced back at the cabin, seeing a figure in the window. I must've just missed her, and she headed back inside.

I chuckled and headed back inside. I heard a soft song playing throughout the house. A perfect song for a dance. I headed towards the origin of the noise and spotted Daniella smiling at me.

I smiled right back and approached her. She placed her hands on my shoulder as I placed mine on her waist. And slowly we started dancing. I smiled at the familiar feeling of dancing with her.

For a moment everything else faded, even the song, and all I could see was her. The girl I loved so much, that life without her wasn't life at all. 

I stared into her eyes, but her image slowly started to distort. Blood dripped from her beautiful eyes. Running down her cheeks and onto the floor. I took a step back in fear, but her grip tightened on my arms.

I struggled to pull back panic and fear filling me as she smiled. Her teeth weren't a shade of white, but rather a dark red. She leaned towards me and I leaned further back. 

"What's wrong Grayson? Don't you love me?" It was her voice, but at the same time, it wasn't. It was filled with venom. The smile was wiped from her face as she glared at me, her eyes turning white with death. Cuts and bruises covering her face.

Her clothes became drenched in blood. Her fingers dug into my arms harder and harder by the second.

"You did this to me Grayson!" She shouted as her body shook with rage. "You left me to die! And you don't care!" Her words cut through the air like a knife. Stabbing me with each syllable.

"That's not true," my voice came out weak and unsure. Deep down, I felt like every word she said was true. It was my fault. I did leave her. But I did care. I did care.

She released my arms the venom leaving her voice, and instead, a soft truth took over. "Did you really care Grayson?"

I nodded my eyes stinging with tears at her state. "Then come with me, Grayson. Stay. We can be together forever."

I furrowed my brows. The idea had felt so right before, but something nagged in the back of my mind. Names ringing through my brain. Ella. Jerry. Theo. DJ.

I couldn't stay. I had to help them. I needed to get to them. I stepped back, giving Daniella a sad look. "Not yet…" I whisper to her. Turning around and walking to the door. 

I stopped myself from looking back at the door to her and instead forced myself to step out. I wanted to stay with her. But I couldn't. Not yet.