4

"Is he dead?" Hyunjin asked.

Han puts his ear on the Prince's chest. "It's hard to say. I don't hear a heartbeat, but again, Minho did make me almost go deaf when he released that crackling noise in my ears the day he turned me into a permanent merman."

"No, he's breathing. He's so beautiful." Seungmin said.

They both stare at the handsome prince in front of them, until they hear footsteps. They both leap back into the water.

"Jeongin. You really have sadistic tendencies on my blood pressure, don't you?" Changbin says.

"Two boys rescued me... they both were so beautiful, perfect." Jeongin said, amazed.

"Jeongin, I think you swallowed a bit too much sea water. We're going back to the castle. Come on Kkami." 

Felix, who had swam back up to the surface sighed. "Let's forget this ever happened. I won't tell your father, you won't tell him, he doesn't have to know."

Hyunjin and Seungmin are both sitting on a rock now, sighing.

"One day..." Hyunjin sighs.

"... We'll be part of your world."

***

The mysterious figure from earlier, Minho, sits down and smirks. "Oh, I can't! This is too easy. Chan's son is in love with a human! And not just any human- the prince! Chan will LOVE that. His naive lovesick son will make a great addition to my collection. Right beside of you, Han."

***

The next day, Hyunjin and his siblings are in their room. Hyunjin is in the dressing room, dancing.

Minhyuk knocks on the door. "Hyunjin, it's time to come out. You've been in there all morning."

Hyunjin comes out of the dressing room, dancing and humming. "Morning father, morning guys." He says before swimming off.

Yeji smirks. "Oh, he has got it bad."

Chan frowns. "What? What has he got?"

Tiffany smiles. "Isn't it obvious father? Hyunjin is in love."

Chan frowns more. "Hyunjin? In love?"

***

Meanwhile, Felix is pacing back and forth outside the castle. "Okay, I think I'm safe. I don't think Chan knows. Ugh, but keeping this a secret forever will be difficult."

Hyunjin swims by, a flower in his hand. "He loves me, he loves me not... he loves me! I knew it." Hyunjin says, swimming around.

Felix frowns. "Hyunjin, please stop talking crazy!"

"I'm gonna go see him again tonight. Han knows where he lives!"

"Hyunjin, get your head out of the sky and back under the sea where it belongs."

"Seungmin and I will swim up together and we'll pretend to be badly injured and he'll come and rescue us."

"Down here is where you belong. You're a merman, not a human."

Felix begins rambling on about how sea life is better. Hyunjin has swam away to go meet up with Seungmin. Felix notices and sighs.

Just then, a mermessenger comes up. "Your husband wants to see you. Something about Hyunjin."

Felix sighs. 'Uh oh, he knows.'

***

Chan is sitting at his throne. "Who could the lucky merperson be?"

Felix sighs. 'I must be calm.' He says before swimming in and sitting in his throne beside Chan. "Yes?"

"Felix, have you noticed anything... odd... about Hyunjin lately?" Chan asks.

"Odd?"

"Dancing, humming, daydreaming... you haven't noticed?"

"Well-"

"Felix."

"Yes?"

"I know you've been hiding something from me."

"Hiding something? Like what?"

"About Hyunjin."

"What about Hyunjin?"

"In love?"

Felix panicked. "I tried to stop him babe, I tried to keep him away from humans but it was too late!"

"Humans? WHAT ABOUT HUMANS?" Chan asked, angrily. He gets up, swimming off.

Felix bites his nails. "I screwed up, didn't I?"

***

"This is gonna be amazing." Seungmin says. 

"If I knew what it was, I would agree."

Seungmin pulls Hyunjin into their secret hideout. In the center stands a small statue of Prince Jeongin.

"When the ship exploded, there was a small statue of the prince hidden in the decks. I managed to grab it while you shuffled away from the mess. I quickly put it down when I saw Jeongin drowning. After we got you back home, I took the statue here." Seungmin explained.

Hyunjin had stars in his eyes. "Oh, Seungmin. It's perfect. It looks just like him." Hyunjin said, swimming around the statue. He kissed Seungmin and smiled.

However, their smiles faded when they saw a shadow approach them. Chan.

Hyunjin smiled awkwardly. "Father!"

"I consider myself a reasonable merman. I set aside rules for my children and I except those rules to be obeyed at all times."

"But father!"

"Is it true you rescued a human from drowning?" 

"I had to!"

"Hyunjin! You know interaction between humans and sea folk is forbidden."

"He would've died!"

"Ok, and? One less human for us to have to worry about."

Hyunjin gritted his teeth. "You don't even know him! He was just trying to enjoy life and have fun!"

Chan rolled his eyes. "Know him? I don't have to know him. All humans are the same. Selfish, greedy, betrayers."

"Father! Seungmin and I love him!"

"No, no you don't. Just because your best friend likes something doesn't mean you have to. You're a merman. He's a human. It's not possible."

"I don't care."

"You left me no choice." Chan says. He begins to break the artifacts, ignoring Hyunjin's pleads. He smashes the statue before leaving.

Hyunjin sinks down onto a rock, sobbing. Seungmin joins in.

A few minutes later, two strange shark figures swim in.

"Poor, poor children." One says.

Hyunjin looks up, noticing the sharks. "Who are you?" He asks, putting his tail protectively around Seungmin.

"You know." The shark says, getting between the two boys. "We know someone who could help you both get the love of your life."

"Just imagine. You two and your prince, living happily ever after on land."

Hyunjin looked confused. "I don't understand."

"Minho has great power."

Seungmin gasped. "Minho? The evil king? No. We won't! Leave."

The shark rolled his eyes. "It was merely a suggestion."

Hyunjin looks down at the ground. "Wait."

The sharks stop. "Yesssssss?"