Almost Drowned

I can swim, you guys. But the blow to my head made it, so nothing seemed to work. I could only see the dark water as I sank lower into the lake. Then there was nothing.

"Nita! Nita!"

The yelling of my friends reached me before I could open my eyes. As I did, the sun's light blinded me and took over my senses. The yelling concerns were muffled as I took in my surroundings. A crowd of people hovered over me, with my best friends to my right. To my left, a pair of beautiful black eyes bored back into mine.

"Are you alright?"

The beautiful man asked me. I nodded as I sat up slowly. The crowd backed away as my friends yelled to them to move along.

"Girl, we were so worried." my friends sat beside me, drying me off and checking me over. But all my senses were focused on the big hands rubbing comforting circles on my back.

"What hap-ppen?" I asked. My voice croaked as the last remnants of water dripped from my mouth.

"Nita, you almost drowned. That football hit you in the head, and you just went in." Minnie explained, making a splashing movement with her hand.

"Then this fine specimen of a man jumped in and saved you," Tori added.

I rolled my eyes at her. Tori would flirt anytime, anywhere. That's my girl.

I looked over at the man who still knelt beside me with his hand on my back.

I noticed he was one of the three guys I saw earlier. He was Asian with long hair tied up in a bun. He had a tone-chiseled face with a small mole on his tone chin. He was gorgeous.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hit you with the ball like that." he rushed out with a guilt-ridden look.

"You saved me. All is forgiven," I simply said.

My friends gasped. They probably were waiting for me to smack the taste out of his mouth. But, when I looked at him, the only thing I felt was calmness. I knew such an easy-going temperament was not me.

They all helped me up. The guy helped me sit at the picnic area while my friends gathered our things.

"What's your name?" I asked

"Bolin Hu. People just call me Bo. You?" He replied.

"Wynita Nelson. You can call me Nita." I said back.

I heard laughing. I looked over at my friends laughing with two men. One was short, muscular, and with dark brown skin. The other was taller, lankier, with pale white skin and shaggy blond hair.

"Those are my friends Ron and Trevor." he pointed to both.

"The way those heifers are laughing, you wouldn't know I had almost drowned. I said with a huff.

Bo chuckled at me. By the time everyone came back to where we were sitting, the sun had started to set.

"We should get going," Tori announced.

I lifted myself from my seat. I grabbed for my phone, but Minnie snatched it up. "Here, let me get your number. So when she is feeling better, she can call you and thank you properly." Minne imputed his number as Bo recited his number. Bo flashed me a smile as he and his friends walked away. AS I stared at his retreating form, I couldn't help but notice his tone, muscular chest, and tight butt.

"Hate to see them leave. But, love to see them walking away." Tori whispered.

I snatched my phone from Minnie, and we left.

As we drove back to Salem, Tori and Minnie just chatted themselves into a frenzy. They talked about the guys, how good they looked, and who they thought was better in bed.

"So when are you going to call him?

Tori's question brought me out of the stupor I was in. "Never. I almost drowned. I'm not worrying about a date," I replied, shaking my head.

"Almost. Almost drowned. You are not dead. You are alive, and you should act like it; call the man."

"Tori, not all of us treat men like pringles like you do. You can't have just one." I shot back.

"I may have a lot of men, but at least I put myself out there." she countered aggressively.

We both looked at each other, the tension building. "Alright, stop it, you two," Minnie said forcefully. She was always the peacemaker during any arguments. I looked at Minnie, who smiled even though it didn't reach her eyes.

"We aren't trying to pressure you. We haven't seen you act so calm around someone like that since Becks. That was seven years ago. We both saw how you looked and acted around him. That connection does not happen every day. That's why I took his number for you. I took a calming breath. Just because you are alive doesn't mean you are living." Minnie finished her speech.

"Girl, any man who can rub your back and not instantly be slapped must be special." Tori joked.

We all laugh, knowing it was sort of true. Just like that, the argument was over. We enjoyed the drive back home. They dropped me off first, honking the horn at me as I entered my home. I turned on all my lights. It was a small quaint home but perfect for me. I pulled off my shoes and dived headfirst onto my couch. I looked at the picture sitting on my coffee table. It was Becks.

Becks Brown was my high school sweetheart. We were together for five years. We had planned to get married and go to college together. I would study art history, and he would play basketball and get drafted. Our future was planned. Then Becks broke his leg and lost his scholarship. Then he spiraled and committed suicide on our prom night. It shook me to the core. I was depressed for a long time. It took me years before I could even leave the house. I attended school online and was able to finish my degree. I have my dream job as an art curator, and I have a home. But I never dated again. Whenever I would entertain the idea of dating, I could see the ghost of Becks staring at me disapprovingly. I knew it was just my guilt. My feelings that I was betraying him were all in my head. But, I couldn't ignore it until now. When I think of Bo, the ghost of Becks slowly disappears along with my doubt and guilt. I take the picture of Becks and put it face down on the table with a deep breath. I picked up the phone, found the number I was looking for, and hit the button to call.