Walking and Talking

"So...you went skiing...Mr Blackstone?" I commented, holding my cloak tighter around me to keep out a freezing wind, and hoping that Miss Knight was warm enough behind me. I had suggested that someone else chaperone me, but she would not hear of it. I needed to walk out and she considered it her job to keep an eye on me. Miss Knight, Mama and Grandmama were all keeping a close eye on me, because they were all worrying about me, which had included a rather awkward lunch with my mother the day before. And later on, that day, the Saturday, one of them would accompany me to my parent's house, to take tea with my father. I think that the prospect of that ordeal was affecting my general mood, a little.

"Yes...I flew out on Boxing Day...with some old schoolfriends...did you miss me, Miss Scott-Montague?" He grinned, making light of it.

"I am sure your mother missed you, Sir." I suggested, a little testily. I was still bothered about Sheila and Bella, despite the advice and concern of my uneasy family, and I was not particularly impressed by his decision to go on holiday whilst Sheila was stuck with the Ellesmere's. I had not intended to say anything but I was vexed about it, I suppose.

"I was invited to stay...as were my whole family...but one day was enough, believe me...and I would have had little opportunity to spend any time with my mother." He replied, explaining himself without taking offence. "It was a big house party...and the ladies were kept busy...I barely had two words with her on Christmas Day. Believe me, Miss Scott-Montague, if I could have helped her at all, I would have stayed...but I could not...and I did not feel comfortable in the general company?"

"Would it be impertinent of me to ask whether you had talked to your stepfather about this situation, Sir?" I asked, knowing full well that it was impertinent, but we knew each other, well enough, and I did not think he would take offence at that, either.

"I have...not that it did much good...he merely says that things have changed..."

"I do not believe that he ever had any intention of letting your mother teach, Sir." I insisted as we walked side by side.

"At that stage, Deepdene was still a work in progress...the board of governors had not made any decisions about the parameters Mr Radcliffe would have to work within...but he is rather less moderate than I thought, I must say...and better friends with my dear older brother than I believed...but you must remember that we pushed him, Miss Scott-Montague?" Steven sighed deeply, turning to face me, looking straight down the barrel of my poke bonnet, my skirts and cloak brushing against his legs as he maintained a suitable distance between us. I was wearing the dark red gown Nicola had borrowed just a few days before, with a matching fur-trimmed cloak, one of my favourite outfits. It would be perfect for both my engagements, I thought, and I loved the deep colour so much, because it made me feel sophisticated, I suppose. "I know that you...as a convert to our cause...do not quite understand our ways, at times...and that is not a criticism...how could you understand everything in just a few months? But marriage is a life-time commitment for us...divorce is still legally possible, obviously, but anyone in Meadvale who divorced their spouse without very good cause would surely be shunned and disowned...it is just not done here. My dear mother was encouraged to marry, but she effectively chose Mr Radcliffe...she was not forced in any way, and she took her vows of her own volition, and for her own reasons. Now...just because things have not played out as we had all hoped...she can't just break those vows? It is simply not possible here. It is unthinkable."

"Yes, I am beginning to see that..."

"This community is in a state of flux...at the moment...as a historian, I can stand back from the daily grind and look at it logically, I feel...and in my opinion, this is just about generational change. The original elders...the people who founded this community and wrote the doctrine for us all to live by...are dead or well past retirement age...Ben Brewster being a fine example of course. Richard Ellesmere lost his father, an Elder for almost thirty years, just over two years ago...and he is replacing his father, and very keen to make his mark and help shape the future of this great community. The other men rising to the challenge of directing the community are all in the exact same position...your Papa included...and so, there is rather a lot of jostling for position...and a general flexing of muscles...but it will all settle down." Steven said, earnestly trying to help me understand what was going on around us all. "There has always been a small but powerful group of traditionalists who wanted to go further than most, and when they are given an excuse to move, they always instigate a swift return to the conservative origins of the church...but it never lasts long since most people don't want that...these things always calm down given time?"