CHAPTER FOUR

RHINE

Waking up groggy, with my eyes barely open, I turned my head side to side, sighing in contentment when I heard the little crunch on either side of my neck. I stretched my hands above my head then leaned forward and put my fingertips to my toes, ah that felt nice. I threw the covers and went to the bathroom, "Alexa play 'morning playlist' on Spotify." The music started playing and I sang along "dance with me in my backyard, boy-" brushed my teeth and worked through my morning routine. 

Walking back into the room, I found my bed made by one of the helpful staff, I laid out my outfit for the day and went around removing the silk scarf from my hair, finally. And I dressed up, before going downstairs to have breakfast. "Darling, you're up already? I thought you were sleeping in," mother said, as she kissed my cheek, reciprocating my action before I sat down across from her. I smiled, "I couldn't sleep that long." She shook her head but said okay, nodding to the kitchen help to start serving the food. We made small talk through breakfast, her asking about my flight, since I arrived home, well past midnight and she was already asleep, then we talked about my plans for the day and the weekend ahead. 

After breakfast, she said she would be resting, taking a day off, but I knew her secretary would be coming in, in an hour, and they would both work from home. By the time I was out of the door, my driver was out front waiting outside. He smiled, bowing his head slightly, "it's good to see you back, miss Davis. You look well." I smiled at the older man, "thank you, John. It's good to be back." He nodded, smiling slightly at me, opened my door, closed it and jogged to his side, and drove me to the apartment complex I would be relocating to. "I won't be long," I said when he opened my door to let me out. He nodded, mentioning he would park the vehicle in the outdoor parking lot designated for the apartment owners. I did not look behind again, and made my way inside the building, thanking the doorman for opening the door. I make my way to the elevator and wait for the car to descend.
"Who would have thought."
I stiffen slightly and turn to my side, my body relaxing when I see him, Carlos, one of Zion's friends from college. I smile at him, offering a quick hug, "good to see you too."
The elevator dings and we file inside. He smiles at me, "it's been a while, what, three years?" I shake my head no, "four." He grins, nodding slightly, his hair falling on his forehead. "Man, I miss the trip we had," he let out a little laugh, his eyes unfocused as if he relived all the memories we'd made together in his head. I smile slightly, nodding my head. I knew what he meant, I missed it too. The fun we had was cruising across Europe; myself, Sophia, Zion, Carlos, and two other friends of theirs. My heart ached and I did my best not to let it show. That was the last time i'd seen my best friend. 

"What are you doing here?" he asked. "Checking out my apartment, moving in through the week," i said, asking if he also lived in the building. "Ocassionaly," he said with a shrug, not giving any more information. I nodded, and scrolled through my phone for a bit, until the elevator ding sounded and the doors slid open. We both walked out, seemingly heading in the same direction, even when i took a left turn. "Looks like I'm your new neighbor," i laughed again lightly, when he gestured to his door and i pointed to mine, my door facing his. he chuckled and shook his head, muttering a few words to himself. "See you around, neighbor," i grinned, putting in my code, the door swinging open. He did an awkward wave as i closed the door in his face. 

I strolled through the apartment, liking everything done, this would be my new home, i liked it already, from the creamy white walls to the brown furniture, the plants, art, portraits. I slid the doors open that led to the balcony and breathed the hot California air. "Love it!" i shoot a text to Sophia, who replied immediately, "i deserve a raise!" I snickered and pocketed my phone once more, going room to room until i reached what would be my bedroom. On the side, leaning on the wall, stood a piece covered in bubble wrap. I knew exactly was behind the wrap. Not withholding back, i lay the piece on the bed and went about tearing off the wrapping apart, and the wrapping beneath it too. My fingers brush through the canvas, whispering over the dried oil painting. Instantly taken back to the streets of London. 

During my first year after my move, Zion had made several trips to see me, and on this one trip, we'd gone to Chinatown, my suggestion. I'd not been to that part of London before and i wanted to see it, with my favourite person. Zion went along with the plans i'd set, even made an itteniary incase i forgot something on the list of things i'd told him i wanted to do.  My driver dropped us off at the gates that opened up to the culture and traditions of the Chinese people. "What do we do first?" he'd asked with a raised brow. I told him we'd buy traditional Chinese wear to fit in. He laughed lightly, said no one was wearing them and i put my hands on my hips, glaring up at him. "We're going to dress up," I said again. He didn't bother picking a fight, he sighed and nodded, i knew i won. Squeeling, i raised on my tippy toes and brushed my lips on his jaw. 

"If i knew you'd be this excited about dressing up, we'd have done it sooner," his eyes shone at me. I linked my hand with his, "it's okay if you don't want to dress up. I'll do it by myself." I exegerated a fake sign, "then i'll have to deal with you being the odd one out and have people look at you wierd." He rolled his eyes with a snicker, "the horror." But a small smile played on his lips.