hard goodbyes | jay halstead

another busy day was taking place at chicago med. "hannah we have a shot victim coming in now im going to need you to take it and go into trauma 2" maggie called "got it" i nodded to her, putting on a pair of gloves "what have we got here" i asked the paramedics as they wheeled in the patient "jay halstead shot on scene. we controlled the bleeding as best we could" one of them said. i froze for a second. jay halstead. my jay halstead. i told myself to stay calm. i found the bullet wound and checked to see if the bullet went straight through. "we need an xray" i called. we got the xray and found where the bullet was sitting. "hes going to need surgery to get the bullet out" i explained after examining the xray. "hannah" i heard jay say quietly "hey im here your gonna need surgery but i'll be right here when you get back i promise" i reassured him "i love you" he said "i love you too" i smiled before he got wheeled out.

"hannah do you think you'll be able to do this or do you want someone to take over" maggie asked me as i went to the staff break room "yeah i will don't worry" i put on a brave face knowing a dmall part of me won't be able to do it "you sure" she said "yeah im sure, i'll be fine" i reassured her but mainly myself "let me know if you need someone to take over" maggie told me. i nodded in response.

a few hours past and crockett, who was removing the bullet from jay, came down with a sorry look on his face "im sorry jays gone. there was too much bleeding and loss of blood. he didn't make it we tried our best to save him" crockett told me. i froze tears streaming down my gave instantly "no your lying hes still here. jays still here" i denied what i got told "im sorry hannah its true" crockett said softly. maggie came up to me and hugged me "hes gone. i didn't even tell him we was having a baby" i cried "jay would want you to be happy han thats all he has ever wanted for you. do you want me to go tell everyone in the waiting room about it or do you want to" maggie asked "i'll go tell them. i think will is there talking to ruzek right now so i guess it will be easier" i sniffed.

i walked out to the waiting room and all the cops turned their heads to me "im sorry he didn't make it" i told them. will froze in shock. ruzek was hugging burgess and atwater was hugging upton as they cried at the news. "im sorry we tried saving him as best we could" i told everyone "we know you did" voight said. will walked over "how you holding up" he asked "not the best but what about you" i replied "same here but we can get through it"

~4 years later~

"mommy wheres daddy? how come all my friends at school have a daddy i dont" lily asked me "um well you know how mommy works at the hospital" i said "yeah does daddy work there aswell" she asked "no but mommy was looking after him one day when he got hurt at work" i told the small child "what is daddys job" she tilted her head curiously "he was a detective with the police" i emphasised on the was, but at her young age, she didn't notice, "isnt that what auntie hailey and kim are" she questioned "yeah they are" i nodded "well daddy got hurt very badly while working. we tried everything to save him but daddy died lily. thats why you don't have a daddy" i felt a tear run down my face. lilys small hands reached up and wiped the tear away "dont cry mommy im sure daddy wouldn't want you to" she laid her head on my chest "you know everytime i look at you i see your daddy" i told her "really" she lifted her head up "mhm" i hummed "can i see a picture of daddy" she asked "of course" i picked up my phone and showed her some pictures "me and daddy have the same eyes" she smiled "you do. and the same smile" i told her "how much do you miss daddy" lily asked "very much but daddy wouldn't want me to be sad so i dont show it all the time" i told the four year old "i wish i met daddy" she sighed "even though daddy isnt here with us he is watching above us and is right here" i said pointing to the sky then her chest. lily looked up to the sky and said "i miss you so much daddy and dont worry im taking really good care of mommy. i wish you could be here and come to all my ballet classes and see me dance but you're up in the sky so you see me all the time" she said a tear ran down her small cheek "every night before bed can we talk to daddy" she asked looking me in the face "of course we can princess" i placed a kiss on her head.

ok so i posted this ages ago but i rewrote most of it , i hope you enjoy it tho <33