1. Into borderland

My fingers moved flawlessly over my laptop’s keyboard. If you’re an university student you get used to doing countless assignments, which can improve your typing skills if you’re lacking.

I finished my assignment about the speed of light, which now in total, took me about 6 hours to complete. Never did I dare complain about the amount of work assigned for me to do research on, because I am doing this to reach my goal. After the incident, my new dream became to be an astronomer.

Not just the stars, but also the idea of other life and meaning outside in the universe always interested me. I wanted to discover life on other planets and do research about black holes. I did not have any interest in the theory of the Big Bang ; I never wanted to overthink that topic, because it will get too scientific and would possibly poison the religion I had.

Fortunately, I worked hard throughout my high school years, scoring A+‘s on every science and math test. But that did not stop me from embracing my creative right brain. Whenever I had free time, I drew my own cartoons or experimented with oil paint.

I stretched my arms after closing my laptop. There was a minimal amount of students in the library today. I enjoyed it, because I hated crowds and noisy places. That’s why the library became my second home. Instead of wasting my time partying with my fellow students, I enjoyed my alone time in the library. The books and I did share some amount of conversations.

I took my shoulder bag and walked to the sci-fi section of books. Alice through the looking-glass. Wonderland was an interesting topic. I scanned through the pictures of the iconic wonderland characters. Alice, Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, Queen of Hearts and Cheshire cat. Who even invented wonderland?

As I began to read to first page, I realized that my light source wasn’t as good as before. The lights were switched off. I came to a conclusion that maybe there was a blackout at this part of Tokyo. After taking 3 other books, I went to the front. I froze at the place I had studied countless times… The few people that were seated by the long table, were no longer in sight.

Frozen in place, my breathing almost stopped as I tried to hear the sound of any human movement or sound. It was dead silent. I knew that loud noises were not allowed in the library, but it had never been this quiet before. The library lady in the front, who scanned your books, was also gone.

The orange sunset peaking through the big windows became the only light source. I really need to go to my apartment before it gets dark. As I exited the library building, I searched for my cellphone in the pocket of my hoodie. After discovering that my device was useless, I sighed feeling hopeless. I only then saw what a ghost town Tokyo was. Not a human being was in sight. The cars on the road were frozen, but lacked its owners. There was literally nothing. Not even electricity.

Just before I can think of conclusions, several television screens on the glass buildings surrounding me, lit up brightly saying that there was a new Game arena. After rethinking my options, I decided to follow the route the screens provided to the place where I was supposed to play a game. That’s what  I thought.

Even though it was currently summer in the northern hemisphere, there was a cool breeze dancing in the streets. I mentally thanked myself for choosing a hoodie and black tights for today’s outfit.

When I arrived at the so called game arena, which was an apartment only a few blocks away from mine, I hid my face with my hoodie, putting my hands in my pockets for more warmth. Before taking the steps up to the first floor, I counted the floors of the apartment. 7 floors.

After walking a few steps, I heard a ding-sound and I immediately frowned and turned around. There were  faint red lines creating a border. With my heart beat running a marathon, I took my library card and threw it at the red lines. The card was immediately destroyed by a red laser shooting from the heavens. I swallowed slowly, feeling the breeze climb up my neck.