3. Pride flag

We arrived at The Beach and it wasn’t quite how I pictured it : it wasn’t near the beach and its original name was Seaside Paradise outside Tokyo – a huge holiday hotel. Chishiya didn’t lie about the electricity, bright lights decorated the walls and music became audible as we entered through the gate.

I exited the car taking my bag and waited for Chishiya to enter the building for me to follow. The welcoming room was a huge gathering area with couches between the pillars with either a group of friends seated or couples making out publicly.

 Chishiya must have noticed that I walked slower frowning at the scene, “The clubs are worse.”

I followed him upstairs realising that I might have to draw a map of this building too. The hallways were quite spacious and seemed to always be victim of the sun’s light. We arrived at a big door with two guys guarding it with guns. Their height and intimidating faces made me shiver, following Chishiya faster into the room.

I was greeted by a huge room with no furniture and a big window at the opposite wall. My gaze danced between the people in the room : a stone faced male with glasses, a woman with short black hair and sunglasses, a creepy woman with long black hair, the familiar army guy and a male with only swimming shorts and a Japanese patterned cardigan. So we have to wear swimwear at this place?

“We have a new pawn, Hatter.” Chishiya said leaving me in the middle of the room and leaned against the wall.

The guy I assumed was Hatter, walked until he was about a meter out of my reach, “And who is this?” He asked looking me up and down.

“I’m Hairu Miyamora. Chiya over there said that I could be of some use to you guys. Whatever that means.” I destroyed the possibility of Chishiya introducing me.

The army guy stepped forward, “Chishiya told me about her skills in the tag game. He said that her specialty might be Diamonds and maybe Clubs.”

Suddenly I felt a presence behind me. Where did this guy come from? I inspected his appearance : black hair and he had a good amount of piercings on his face. He was wearing a cool shirt though.

“Aguni, we shouldn’t just let anyone join the Beach.” He looked down at me again and licked his lips, “ But I guess I will let this one slide just because this one is cute.”

I took a few steps away from the piercing guy, but he still intruded my personal bubble. I guess the army guy is Aguni. Hatter put his hands on my shoulders making me lose the little comfort I had left.

“You’re making her uncomfortable, Niragi.” Hatter told Niragi with an angry face, but it faltered to a smile when he looked back at me, “You must really be special if Chishiya of all people invited you here. I guess I need to explain the rules of this utopia.”

He removed his hands and snapped his fingers. A wall covered in solitaire card drawings made an appearance. Most of the cards were crossed out, non being the face cards. Cautiously I walked closer to the wall.

“The first rule of the Beach is that everyone has to wear swimwear. The second rule works in everyone’s favor.” Hatter looked me right in the eye, “ You can drink, get high and even satisfy all your sexual desires.”

My eyes almost lost its position , “Wha…”

Hatter interrupted me continuing his speech, “But all the cards you have in your possession must be handed over to me. If we collect all the cards, one person can leave this country.”

“So you’re saying that I must risk my life and play deadly games in order for someone else to return to the original world?” I asked just to verify that my ears are still working like they should.