5. Fever

A damp cloth caressed my face. With heavily effort, I forced my eyes opened, blinking a few times to adjust to the sunlight resting in the room. I turned my head lightly to my left to see Chishiya folding the cloth and finally placing it on my forehead.

“Sleeping beauty finally woke up.” He said with no humour in his tone. In fact, a tone didn’t exist, like usual.

“How long have I been asleep?” My throat felt dry.

“Two days. Here drink this.” Two pills laid in his palm paired with a glass of water in the other hand.

I straightened my position and satisfied my dessert throat along with the ache in my arm, by swallowing the capsules. I laid back down and my hand naturally touched the bandage around my other arm.

“What happened?” I began my daily stare, mesmerising his cat-like features.

“You don’t know?” Chishiya asked as if I just asked the stupidest question ever. After I shook my head, he gave me an answer.

“At the amusement park… Niragi shot you by accident.”

I jolted up, “What?! That son of a bitch!” As I was tried to climb out of bed, a pain from hell shot through my arm, and I laid down again.

“For someone who is actually smart, you’re acting stupid right now.” He shoved my legs to the side so that he can sit beside me.

“Wait… This is your room…?”I asked carefully already feeling my body temperature rising.

“Uh-uh. I had all the needed equipment, so I ordered them to bring you here.” Chishiya said as he removed the cloth and put his hand on my forehead.

“Ohhh” I commented awkwardly.

His hand stayed in its position, “You had a fever while you were sleeping yesterday,” His hand examined the temperature of both my cheeks, “Just your cheeks are warm,” A devilish smirk danced on his lips, “And your face is red.”

I smacked his hand away in irritation, “Go to hell, Cheshire.” After reclaiming normal body temperature I asked, “Where did you sleep?”

He motioned towards his couch, “There. I didn’t really care. I don’t sleep much at night anyway.”

“And you were also probably watching over me all the time?” I readjusted my pillow.

“No. Niragi watched over your body.” He stated blankly.

My eyes extended to its full size, “What? D-did he d-do something… to me?”

Chishiya snorted and raised his brows, “Did the painkillers make you gullible?” He adjusted my blanket and then traced his sharp eyes over my face, “Kuina and I wouldn’t have let that fucker come near you. So calm down.”

I scrunched my face at him, “I really do hate you. I almost got a heart attack.”

“Everybody hates me. I’m used to it.” He shrugged.

“You shouldn’t be used to it.” I mumbled, but unfortunately Chishiya heard me because he gifted me a frown.

I cleared my throat, “Anyway, are you playing tonight?”

“Of course.” My eye twitched at his answer.

“So you enjoy putting your life on the line just to play those horrifying games?” I asked with a slight frown.

“I know I will win no matter what.” I rolled my eyes at this and he continues, “And besides, we need to collect all the cards. Playing games more frequently could help increase that.” Chishiya stood up and walked to the window exposing himself to direct golden sunshine.