𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

"Why did you want this dinner again?" Eloise questioned, her legs were crossed and she was leaning back in an armchair, her fingers wrapped around a leathered copy of pride and prejudice, Eloise admired that even under a pen name, the actual author could portray such fantastical and changing ideals surrounding women, Benedict paced around in front of her, his fingers rubbing lines into his furrowed brows.

"Can I not just want a nice evening with Florence and my family?" Benedict tried, his hand slipped down to his mouth to disguise the giving smile his lips were curved into. Eloise tapped her fingers repeatedly on her books cover, as she waited rather impatiently for Benedict to just give up on the act.

"Yes, of course, she made a great impression last time however more than one with a family of an eligible man implies only so much, which either in this family means she has a sister you find yourself deeply infatuated by or you want to ask for her hand," Eloise replied, rather accusingly. Benedict mumbles something but Eloise can only pick up two words, 'sister' and 'no'.

"I just want her to enjoy some time with some friends before she has to leave!" Benedict defends, he tries to level his tone to its normal level, but he is itching to tell even one person that Florence won't return home to Sweden, and will be an equal to him as his wife.

Eloise hums in acknowledgement but she doesn't seem to believe what he said, Benedict sighs before leaving her in the parlour, once he leaves she repositions herself before opening her book to the first page again before delving into the story.

Florence arrived at the Bridgerton home, a good few minutes before she was supposed to because Benedict wanted to go over the evening plan again. He warned her about any confusing comments his family could make once they announce their joyous news.

Florence had agreed and just as he was to leave, she called him back, very much prepared to show the fact of her missed monthly but when he turned around to her with that sweet smile of his, any idea of telling him fizzled away and she settled for a kiss instead.

The rest of the evening had gone well, Florence was situated comfortably, next to two people she could easily make passing conversation with, Kate and Eloise. Florence had pushed the food around a little, not because it was distasteful but because an overwhelming sickness was slowly picking at her, Eloise hadn't noticed but Kate had whispered some reassurance and gave her a comforting smile. She had left shortly after complaining of some uncomfortability her baby was bringing her, Anthony excused himself to tend to her before coming down shortly after to continue the evening dinner.

They had just got to dessert when Benedict announced he had some news to share.

"Knulla (fuck)," Florence mumbled, Eloise gave her a look, before her eyebrows settled as realisation struck her and she scoffed. Violet looked at her confused, but still nevertheless tried to pay attention to her second eldest son.

"I decided to have this dinner today, for me and Florence have some delightful news to share with all of you!" Benedict announced, Florence nodded as she drank from her glass, she felt it go down her throat and pool in her stomach before she felt the emptiness of the glass. She placed it down annoyed that she couldn't completely to not be involved in this conversation.

Violet gestures for him to continue and Benedict smiles, before walking over to Florence, pulling her chair out and holding her close to him.

"We're betrothed!" Benedict smiles, Florence can even smile too despite the whole awkwardness of the situation, she watches each and every Bridgerton family member's reaction as they happen, Colin spits out the wine he had been drinking, Anthony got splashed with said wine, Eloise was still annoyed but there was a slight smile to her, Hyacinth looked ecstatic whilst Gregory couldn't look more unbothered, Florence noticed now the absence of Francesca, and Violet looked taken aback but a proud mother nonetheless.

"That's wonderful news, Benedict dear!" Violet immediately spoke, Florence could see a secret eye conversation happening between Anthony and Colin and she took some offence, but still kept her smile plastered on her face as Violet congratulated the two and how she would be so happy with Florence as a daughter in law.

Anthony appears next, he hugs his brother whilst whispering something in his ear. Benedict quickly pulls away from the embrace, looking disgusted or offended, Florence can't tell though it might be both, Benedict looks over at her, she smiles and he quickly kisses her on her head before disappearing down a hall with Anthony, Colin following closely behind.

Florence sits back down next to Eloise, Hyacinth has now moved closer to her, desperate to ask so many questions. She blurts so many out at once, Florence can hardly focus on any. They range from wedding dresses, to chapels, to how many children, to Florence's favourite childhood memory to her siblings.

"You don't have any eligible sisters, do you?" Hyacinth asks, there was a considerable pause between the other questions and that one.

"Sorry?" Florence replies, Eloise smirks into her drink and Violet stutters.

"Hyacinth, run along now!" Violet commands, Hyacinth tries to defend herself but Gregory has already gone so she is quick to follow her brother, probably to start another squabbling match, "Do not worry about what she says, it has nothing to do with Benedict."

authors note
sorry this is so short, ive got exams for end of year for the next few weeks and so i need to do so much revision :/

and of course thank you for 10k reads!!  i appreciate all of you <3