Griefs and Goodbyes

The day after the events at the cemetery in Paris, Newt, Theseus, Jacob and Tina were invited to Nicholas Flamel's house to stay for some time to digest all that had happened. As one could have presumed, everyone was torn and traumatised. Thesues was inconsolable having lost his fiancé and sunk into depression desperately trying to find a new meaning for his life. Tina was conflicted and mad about Queenie's decision about joining Grindewald. Yet mainly she was disappointed in her and secretly hoped she would walk in the door and tell her it was just a joke. Alas, she knew her sister had her reasons for her choice. Marrying a muggle was illegal in the States and Queenie fell madly in love with Jacob. According to her sister he was the most kind-hearted and selfless preson she had ever met. Queenie and Jacob's romance went through a rough patch and Jacob felt betrayed as he replayed Queenie walk through the blue flames trying to convince him to accompany her alongside Grindelwald. However, Jacob saw that the powerful wizard was not a trustworthy person and his moral compass refused to let him join his love even though marrying her was the one thing he had wanted the most in his life.

Newt was also rather distraught about Leta's passing, even though she had betrayed him in Hogwarts, he still had fond memories of her and he never would have wanted such a terrible ending for her. In the past few days, however, Tina's wellbeing has mattered more to him than he would have admitted it to himself and he felt like he needed to do something to cheer her up or at least bring a smile to her face. Alas, he was lost for words or actions. He saw that she was feeling out of place. Her one and only sister left her, the one who she looked after for years after they became orphans. He saw the deep sadness in her eyes every day and he could not resist the urge to shield her from all the bad things.

- - - - - - - - - - -

The days at the Flamel house were mostly spent in mutual silence and grief as the witches and wizards were trying to find ways to cope with their loss. Not much happened other than the rather vague and brief conversations that were exchanged during the meals they had throughout the day.

On their last night, Tina was having trouble falling asleep as her thoughts kept spiralling around Queenie. Thus she hopped out of her bed and walked over to the kitchen to get some cocoa for herself. The wooden floor creaked under her steps even though she was being very careful not to wake anyone up.

As she was getting back to her room with the warm beverage in her hand, she noticed the door on Newt and Jacob's room was slightly open. She quietly pushed the door in just enough so she could peak inside when she saw Teddy, Newt's beast, which gave him too much headache at times, eagerly gathering everything shiny it could find around the bedroom. Tina noticed that the magizoologist's case was open and she was contemplating what to do. She wouldn't have called for Newt as Jacob was fast asleep and she didn't want to wake him up. She also didn't want to turn a blind eye and leave the niffler alone as she knew how much trouble it could cause. In the end, she placed down the mug of cocoa on Newt's nighttable and decided to climb down the ladder into the suitcase to let Newt know that his creature escaped yet again. She couldn't see him straight away therefore she looked around before she starting calling his name.

"Mr. Scamander, you seem to have let Teddy loose again."

"Ohh bugger, that pesty little beast" Tina heard Newt swear as he emerged from the Mooncalves' habitat. "I shouldn't have trusted him by allowing him to wander around" he finished as he reached Tina.

"It's just in your room for now but you should probably go check on him before he finds Flamel's stone collection"

"Thanks.. erm.. I'll go up in a second" replied Newt. "Would you mind feeding the Mooncalves in the meantime? There is a bucket of feed next to their habitat, just sprinkle it in the air and they will catch the floating pieces. They are very hungry and I was just about to give them their midnight dinner."