our final lantern night

Xiao x reader (gender neutral)

cw: ending in angst, no comfort(?) not sure if it's "no comfort" I'm too nice 😭 but also sorry besties it had to be done

"The Lantern night, is no longer bright without you by my side."

The night falls silent, Xiao staring from afar, as the people of Liyue enjoy the time of the Lantern rite.

He cannot even bare the sight of the sky lanterns fly above in the starry sky, because in that moment, is when you vanished from his world.

The day he knew would come, but he was too selfish to let you go, yet you did it so easily.

Even when Xiao would tell you to stay out of his way, that a mortal should not be involved with an adeptus, but you still made your way through his heart.

Xiao knew what he was getting into once he started to succumb into your company, and it grew into something more. He tried his best to keep away, even though it pained him to not want you close. But why? why was he fooled into humans custom. He vowed to protect Liyue and it's people, and it was his burden alone and had no intention of having relationships with mortals.

He remembers his first Lantern rite with you, the way you would write the symbol of "和平" which meant peace, serenity and calmness. while holding Xiao's hand, staring into his eyes with the smile he will remember for as long as he can live. you asked him to hold the other part of the lantern, so you both could set it into the night sky, together.

He was hoping for the next Lantern rite to be the best next year, to gift you a crystal fly that has the same light energy as a lantern, but there he is, on his knees in stunned silence, watching you dissolve into nothingness.

The only thing he could do is hold you near, while you slowly disappear into thin air. You softly smiled as you both stare into his eyes, and asked Xiao about the crystal fly he showed you earlier. You wanted him to place it in your hair, and he happily obligated.

"So, how do I look?" you said in your soft, weary voice.

"I wish I could've capture this moment forever.." Xiao mumbled softly, leaning against the crook of your neck, inhaling your scent.

Xiao knew it would be a mistake to get close to you, he didn't deserve such kindness and happiness from you. He never did.

You hate saying goodbyes and so did Xiao, so you both held eachother until you were cease to visibility.

Xiao should be use to this, but it seems he hasn't learned from his former deceased friends. Another past he has to force to leave behind for the sake of himself, and the having the nation at his hands.

After reminiscing, Xiao was ready to leave back to purging monsters, a Lantern from afar, as moving towards his direction. He couldn't help but think of you, when you both set your first, and last lantern together. As it slowly approached, there was a symbol. Xiao slowly looked through and it was the same exact symbol you wrote: "和平" could it be possible...? but it isn't, no. You were long gone, he thought.

all you ever wanted was peace, and a calm world to live in, you were Xiao's lantern. But now, he stands in the dark, without the light.

Xiao then lifted the Lantern back up, and it continued its way, back into the starry sky. Xiao slightly closed his eyes, and ghostly smiled.

Wishing that some day, to join you into the starry sky, to shine through, as lanterns together.