Chapter 5: Kai's corruption

"Great job, Jay!" Jay gulped, being terrified of Nya who was staring at him angrily. "I-I didn't mean to-" Jay began, but he got interrupted by Wu: "Your intentions don't matter right now, what matters is that we need to find Kai before Morro does..." Jay nodded slowly, feeling absolutely terrible for what he did.

Lloyd nodded, agreeing with Wu. "Let's go, guys" he said and was about to run off, but he felt someone grab his wrist. Lloyd turned around to see Nya. "Are you sure that you're strong enough to go?" Lloyd looked at Nya and gave her a warm smile. "Yeah, I'm feeling perfectly fine- thank you"

"Let me go with you" The ninja were taken aback by Nya's request, she had never joined them on a mission like this (at least not properly). "Are you sure that you wan-" Lloyd got interrupted by
Nya; "Of course I'm sure, Kai is my brother!" Lloyd broke out in a smile and gave an assuring nod. "Alright then"

Nya smiled as well, but she stopped as soon as she walked past the blue ninja. Jay was surprised, Nya had never given him the cold shoulder. "Are you coming, Jay?" asked Zane, startling Jay who was still shocked. Jay looked around, seeing everyone except Zane already gone. "Oh, yeah.." Jay gulped and put on his mask, leaving the Bounty along with Zane.

Meanwhile, Kai was sitting on the ground, at loss for words. He had just watched the entire meeting the ninja had. Without him. Kai was hurt and angry. 'He may not hurt you on his own. But with a little manipulation...' Kai clenched his fists when he remembered what Wu had said about him. How dare that old man doubt Kai's loyalty?!

"I can see that you're angry" Morro's voice aggravated Kai for some reason. "Shut up.." the fiery hothead said through gritted teeth, making the ghost laugh. "You know, I completely understand why you think that you should have been the green ninja"

"I don't think like that anymore, shut up!" Kai yelled. Morro only cocked a smirk. "That's not what it looked like when I saw your memories and read your thoughts, fire ninja" Kai covered his ears, everything was annoying him for some reason. "You definitely are more powerful than Lloyd"

That sentence sent Kai into shock. "And what makes you think that?! Lloyd is a descendant of the first spinjitsu master, how the heck would I be more powerful than someone like him?!-" Morro laughed; "Easy, hothead. It's simple, Lloyd lets his emotions hold him back; you let your emotions make you stronger. There's a difference."

Kai gave it a thought, and eventually, he came to think that Morro was right. Kai always felt a huge power rush flowing through his veins when he got angry. Kai was lost in his thoughts, which gave Morro the opportunity to manipulate the fire ninja even more, and he took it.

"You know, you're probably the most powerful ninja.." Now Kai burst out into laughter. Morro was confused and getting angry. Why was he laughing now?! "What are you laughing at?!" Kai took a second to collect himself.

"I don't know who lied to you but i'm definitely not the most powerful ninja" Morro frowned. He did not expect the fire ninja to have such low self esteem, after all Master Chen, in the cursed realm, had told him that Kai was rather overly-confident. "You don't actually believe that, do you?"

Kai was taken aback by the ghost's question. Morro noticed Kai starting to doubt his statement, making the ghost smirk. "You almost eliminated Lloyd on Chen's island, didn't you?" Kai's eyes widened. "How do you know?!" Morro only chuckled; "I have my ways. But that's not important, you are."

Kai scoffed as he rolled his eyes. "Yeah sure, Im not important- if anyone here is important, then it's Lloyd- he's the green ninja." Morro was surprised by how annoyed Kai seemed when Lloyd got brought up. "You sound annoyed..?" Morro asked cautiously. Kai gulped as his annoyed expression changed to a sad one.

"W-Well.. I mean.." Morro smirked innerly, the fire ninja was starting to break. Morro sat down next to Kai and faked a worried expression: "You can tell me, you know- I have a feeling that we went.. or are going through something similar. You're jealous of Lloyd, aren't you?"

Kai gulped, Morro was right. But being the stubborn, hothead that he is, he didn't want to admit it. "You're angry and annoyed of all the attention being on Lloyd, you want some credit, some recognition like Lloyd, after all you're a ninja as well. And you've saved Ninjago thousand of times. Yet, Lloyd takes all the fame."

Kai sighed as he gave in. "Well.. yea.." Morro smirked. Kai was vulnerable now. "You'll never be the hero that Lloyd is." Those words slapped Kai right in the face; but he knew that Morro was right. He'd always be overshadowed by Lloyd. He would never be as big as Lloyd. It hurt Kai's ego, but it was something that he couldn't change. Or could he?

"You are much more powerful than that excuse of a hero. And you know it." Kai sighed; "Yeah, but Lloyd will always be more recognised than me, he's the better hero" Morro only smirked at Kai. "Then why not be the better villain?" Kai's eyes widened. "I would never!-" Morro only laughed.

"Oh come on. I know that you want it. And you know it too. Even Master Wu thinks you aren't loyal. Why would you want to be loyal to a team who doesn't even trust you?" Kai was conflicted, what Morro said sounded logical, but he didn't want to betray his friends. But then again; Could he even call them his friends at this point?

"They don't trust you. They doubt your loyalty. Why would you want to protect someone who doesn't even believe in you?" Kai was feeling multiple things. Anger. He was angry at his team for doubting him. Sadness. Sure, he was mad, but his friends's doubts were also hurtful. Unsureness. What Morro said made sense, but was it worth it?

"You know you would be better off as villain. No ninja would doubt your abilities again, or your loyalty." Kai gritted his teeth; "If i was a villain there wouldn't even be any loyalty to doubt, idiot" Morro was very satisfied; Kai was getting angry. That means he would make irrational decisions without thinking first. That was an easy win for Morro.

"That's the point. You're smart.. you know, Im not planning on harming Ninjago- I just want revenge on Wu, for making me believe that I could be the green ninja... Because of him I'm a ghost... No one except Wu will be harmed." What Morro said was halfway true; At first he had planned to free the Preeminent to curse all of Ninjago as a way to get revenge, but now that Morro had learned of Kai and his conflict, he thought that pulling Kai to the dark side would be enough to harm Wu.

"How do I know that I can trust you?" Morro held back a chuckle. He was so close to breaking the fire ninja. "Easy; You let me possess you. But we'll both be in control" Kai was slightly taken aback, but he gave it a thought. With Morro's wind and his fire combined, he would be even stronger than he already is. And Kai was willing to take the risks.

"And what exactly would we do? How would we get revenge?" Kai raised an eyebrow, scoffing. The ghost only smirked as he whispered something into Kai's ear, something which made Kai's eyes widen. Usually, Kai would have immediately refused to carry out Morro's cruel plan. But Kai was not himself anymore.

His deeply buried, dark thoughts had gained control of him.