Chapter 9: A pile of ashes

The ninja were back at Wu's tea shop, training for their next fight with Kai and Morro. It was pretty silent, the only things that could be heard were grunts, groans, and some yelling. Everyone was concentrated, even Jay, but Cole just couldn't seem to focus.

To him, the training didn't make any sense. All they were doing was throwing punches at training dummies. Lifeless training dummies. Kai was nothing like a training dummy. If anything, he was like a volcano, ready to erupt at any moment.

"This whole thing is useless, guys! Do you really think Kai is just gonna stand still and let us beat him so easily?" The ninja all stopped what they were doing and looked at Cole.
"I agree with Cole. This training is not the most effective." Zane said, looking at the other ninja.

"Well what are we supposed to do? We have to wait till Nya unlocks her powers!" Lloyd stated. Cole rubbed his forehead. "But theres gotta be something we can do! Kai won't wait for Nya to unlock her powers till he attacks! He could attack at any moment!" As soon as Cole finished his sentence, the ninja heard a loud noise.

As they turned around, they saw Kai standing on the Shop's roof. The ninja quickly got into position, ready to fight. "Good job Cole, you jinxed it!" Jay yelled, panicking as usual. Cole was nervous. None of the ninja were ready to fight Kai.

Kai jumped down from the roof, having his head lowered. No one moved, no one spoke. Not until Lloyd broke the silence; "What are you doing here, Kai?" Kai didn't respond. Instead, he slowly raised his hand. Before the ninja could react, they were all raised into the air by a huge gust of wind.

Kai quickly lowered his hand again, letting all the ninja drop to the ground, harshly. Cole groaned as he slowly got back up. He looked at his teammates, seeing them all laying on the ground, groaning in pain. Before Cole could do anything, he was attacked by Kai.

Cole yelped in surprise as he quickly threw a punch at Kai. The fire ninja let out a groan as he backed away, holding onto his stomach. Cole covered his mouth in shock and was about to apologise, but then he remembered that Kai was not his friend anymore.

Kai was an enemy now. Cole knew, but it was hard to accept. Kai had been his friend since ages, Cole just couldn't process that Kai was against them now. He didn't want to loose Kai. They were just too close, they cared so much about each other. But now Cole wasn't quite sure if that had changed.

He didn't want to fight Kai. He physically couldn't. Kai was too important to Cole. So, Cole tried something else; talking. "Kai, please stop! We can talk things out!" he said. But Kai didn't listen. He was too angry. Too aggressive. Too focused on his hate for the ninja. Cole sighed, he had to make Kai listen before talking.

As much as Cole didn't want to, he grabbed Kai's arm and twisted it behind the angry fire ninja's back. Kai let out a painful scream as he was pushed onto the ground by Cole. "Trust me this hurts me more than it hurts you" Cole mumbled, fighting back tears. He hated hurting his teammates in any way, but it was different with Kai.

If Kai got hurt physically, Cole felt the pain 2x worse, mentally. He couldn't stand seeing Kai hurt, mentally or physically. And being the cause of Kai's pain, pained Cole even more. "Kai, please listen for once! I don't wanna fight you! You're my brother!" Cole yelled, trying to be louder than Kai's grunts and groans.

"You're my friend, Kai! Please, stop fighting so we can talk about everything like grown ups!" Cole said, continuing to try and get the angry fire ninja to calm down. All of a sudden, Kai went limp. Cole was confused, but he still had a strong grip on Kai. Just in case.

After multiple minutes, Kai still did not move. Cole slowly loosened his grip on Kai and bowed down to look at Kai's face, but he was caught off guard when the got kicked in the stomach. In shock, Cole accidentally let go of Kai and wrapped his arms around his stomach, which gave Kai time to punch Cole in the jaw.

Cole fell on the ground, hitting his head. He groaned in pain as he slowly felt his eyelids close. Cole struggled to keep his eyes open and his vision was starting to get blurry. He tried to stay awake, but with no success. Soon, he fell unconscious.

Cole gasped in surprise when he sat up, wide awake again. Something was off. It was warm. too warm. As Cole looked around, he immediately found out the cause of the heat and it made him want to fall unconscious again. Kai had set the entire place on fire.

The earth ninja quickly got up, searching his teammates. As Cole ran around in the burning place, he saw something shiny lying on the ground, in the distance. As he took a closer look, he noticed that the shiny thing was in fact Zane. Cole quickly ran towards the nindroid and kneeled down next to him.

The earth ninja was shocked when he noticed that Zane had ben shut down. Cole also noticed that Zane had multiple dents and scratches. He had to get his friend out of here. As Cole got up, carrying Zane's heavy body, he finally saw what had happened to his other teammates. They were all laying on the floor lifelessly, with burns and wounds all over the place.

This was Kai's doing.

Cole was starting to panic. There was no sign of Kai. No sign of Morro. No sign of life coming from any of his teammates. And it was only a matter of time till the entire place turns into a pile of ash. Cole found it difficult to breathe. Partially, because of anxiety, but mostly because of the smoke from the fire that was entering his lungs.

Pretty soon Cole dropped to his knees, also dropping Zane in the process. He began coughing violently and he felt lightheaded. His vision began to blur and very soon, Coles eyes fluttered shut, again.