3

"okay, okay! i got it." mariposa rushed out, holding her finger up to the makeup artist with an apologetic smile. "i can't talk now! please, ma, i gotta go."

after a few more seconds, mari was able to hang up the phone and release a huge sigh.

"i'm so sorry. you know how mom's can be."

"trust me, i do." cassie, mari's makeup artist, said with a small laugh. cassie finished touching up her makeup as mari sat in silence, mentally preparing herself.

mariposa was currently backstage at the jimmy fallon studio, waiting for her slot on the night show for her interview. she had just released an impromptu single and her label wanted promotion for it, hence the interview.

she's always been the one to have some sort of nerves before interviews because she's always having to second guess her thoughts. she's always prepped before but she still has the fear of saying something wrong. thankfully, it's just promotion for her song that was already out and not for a project she's trying not to spoil.

"ms. montes? 5 minutes til if you'd like to come with me." the production assistant said after poking his head into the dressing room.

"perfect. let's do this!" she smiled, following the pa across backstage and to the wings of the main stage. as she waited for her entrance, she watched fallon crack jokes about god knows what. she took a few deep breaths, shaking out her nerves and plastered a smile on her face as she heard her name being announced.

mari waved and smiled brightly as she crossed the stage; approaching fallon.

"jimmy! it's so good to see you again!" jimmy hugged her before gesturing to her set as he went to his own seat.

"mariposa! how have you been?"

mari smiled; crossing her legs as she shrugged. "good, good! i've just been in the studio like crazy and finishing some post-production projects. ton of auditions, the same old."

jimmy nodded, clapping his hands. "i know! i listened to skin, the new single you just released," he paused, the crowd letting out cheers and shouts. "i loved it. definitely something to get your fans hyped up for your new music, right?"

the crowd let out another cheer.

"yes! oh my gosh, i've been working so hard on my new music and while it's taking longer than my previous albums, i'm so proud of it." mari smiled as she pressed her hand to her heart, a way of expressing her feelings.

"that's amazing! i can't wait for the new music."

"thank you. i am excited as well."

jimmy clapped his hands, adjusting his sitting position as he slowly reached down towards behind the desk to retrieve something. he pulled up a black square and mari couldn't see what was on the other side.

"so, mariposa, we need to discuss something."

"oh god, am i in trouble?"

jimmy laughed like he always does, shaking his head. "no! well, maybe. depends on who you ask?" 

"alright.." mari trailed off, biting her lip as she waited for him to continue.

"so. recently, you took to twitter to talk about a movie you just saw."

mari's eyes slightly widened as she saw the smile creep on jimmy's face. he nodded, confirming her thoughts. he had the screenshot.

"jimmy, stop!"

"you tweeted it!" jimmy defended, laughing. mari shook her head as he flipped the board and revealed the screenshot of her tweet. "joseph quinn?"

mari laughed and covered her face, slipping down in her seat as she blushed. she reread the tweet and groaned, not even realizing what it said until now.

"oh my god!" she laughed, grabbing the board and putting it face down on the desk. "let's pretend i never said that!"

"so tell us" he laughed; having to pause to catch his breath. "is he your celebrity crush or something?"

mari blushed, holding the sides of her face as she felt the heat radiate off her face. she swallowed the lump in her throat and took a shaky deep breath.

"he's gorgeous! what am i supposed to do?" she confessed, covering her face completely once more as jimmy teased her.

••••••••••••••••••

 1,072,264 likes | 143,627 comments

mariposamontes thank u so much 4 having me @jimmyfallon @thefallonshow even tho u blindsided me & embarrassed me on national tv 😭😭😭 can't wait 2 (not) see u again ik 🤝🏼🤍

user MARI HAS A CRUSH
user im gonna cry u were so embarrassed
sadiesink_ text the gc RN 😭
tomholland2013 Z is telling me to tell you "what the fuck"
user i looked up the guy and honestly he's cute !!
madisonbeer 😭😭😭😭😭