Chapter Three: The Advanced Guard

Faye didn't know what to do. After being ushered into her home by Mrs. Figg, she stood shell-shocked staring at the door. Should she go to Harry's house and demand answers? Should she stay and wait for him to come to her? What had Mrs. Figg meant when she said that she wouldn't remember anything by morning? "Faye? You alright?" her adopted mother's voice snapped Faye back into reality. Faye turned to face Emily; She was in her late forties, her kinky black hair was pulled back making her green eyes pop against her mocha skin, and a dish towel was thrown over her shoulder."Yeah, I'm fine," she lied. "I and Harry just got into a small fight, is all. We should be good by morning." This was partially the truth. Faye planned on getting answers tonight, even if that means climbing through Harry's window and staying till he answered all her questions. "Ok, well if you could finish cleaning the pots from dinner tonight before you go to sneak off to Harry's, I would appreciate it," Emily said. Faye nodded her head and climbed the stairs to her room.

Closing her bedroom door, Faye made for the window and stopped abruptly. What if Harry didn't want to tell her about what happened, he obviously had kept the secret from her throughout their entire friendship; then again who was she to judge, she had her own secret she had kept from him. Would getting answers about everything he's hidden from her mean she would have to tell him about her secret too. Was she ready for that?

The only person she had ever told about her visions was her birth mother, but Faye doubted she believed her. When she was five she was plagued with nightmares of her mother's crash. She was still too young to make out her vision fully at the time and could only see flashes of what would come to pass.

When she told her mother, she passed it off as bad dreams caused by too much TV; but that day her mother drove them to see a play at one of the local theaters and was t-boned by a drunk driver. It was a miracle Faye survived. She blamed herself and never had brought it up again, knowing no one would ever believe her. Would Harry believe her? It wouldn't be so far-fetched if he was able to fight off those dementors. Maybe they had people like her in the wizarding world.

Harry had called himself a wizard. The image of light coming out of Harry's wand stuck out in her mind, the look of determination and guilt on his face. Had he truly felt so guilty about keeping his secret from her or did he regret showing her at all, never wanting to share that part of him. Was that why he was avoiding me? The question hit Faye like a ton of bricks. Of course, that was why he was avoiding me. He couldn't hide his secret anymore so he had decided to cut her out of his life.

Faye sat in her room, wondering what the best course of action was. What had felt like minutes, but was in fact three hours later, Faye was curled up on her bed battling with her fear and her logical mind. Hearing the doorbell ring, Faye popped up to her feet and made her way downstairs. She hoped Harry had made the decision for her and was here to talk.

Instead, when Emily opened the door, two men in mismatched clothes stood in the doorway. One wore a top hat, with a Jack Daniels T-shirt, and a plaid kilt. The other wore a poncho, jeans, and rain boots. Had they both gotten dressed in the dark, Faye thought. . . while drunk?

"Can I help you?" asked Emily, giving both men a once over.

"Yes, we are here to see Ms. Faye Jordan. We have some questions for her." said top hat.

Faye's ears began to ring and the familiar feeling of nausea hit like a tidal wave. These men were dangerous. Darting back upstairs, unseen, she knew she couldn't stay here. She closed her door quietly, thankful her mother was still questioning the men about who they were and what they wanted. Faye grabbed a duffle bag and a backpack, stuffing both with clothes, a pack of colored pencils, and her sketchbooks from the past 5 years. She didn't know where she would go, but she would improvise. Maybe she could hide at Harry's until these men were gone and get some answers while she was at it.