Chapter Six: The Ministry of Magic

Faye woke up at around half-past 6. Woke up was a generous word, more like she was dragged out of bed by Mrs.Weasley's non-stop reminders to get ready. At the foot of her bed sat one of her nicest day dresses. Mrs. Weasley had picked it out after she had done everyone's laundry the day before. She put it on and headed down the stairs, deciding to worry about her hair and teeth after breakfast.

As she entered the dining room she saw that Harry was also awake, half-dressed, and eating breakfast. Lupin, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Sirius, and Tonks were also in the room talking to Harry.

As Faye sat down Mrs. Weasley set a plate of eggs and bacon with a side of toast in front of her.

"The hearing is on my floor in Amelia Bones' office. She's Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and she's the one who'll be questioning you," said Mr. Weasley.

"Amelia Bones is okay, Harry," said Tonks earnestly. "She's fair, she'll hear you out."

Harry nodded, unable to say anything past the jumble of nerves in his stomach.

"Don't lose your temper," said Sirius abruptly. "Be polite and stick to the facts."

Harry nodded again.

"The law's on your side," said Lupin quietly. "Even underage wizards are allowed to use magic in life-threatening situations"

Something very cold trickled down the back of Harry's neck; for a moment he thought someone was putting a Disillusionment charm on him again but realized it was just Mrs. Weasley attacking his hair with a wet comb.

"Doesn't it ever lie flat?" she said desperately.

"Trying to get Harry's hair to cooperate is like trying to convince the sun to set in the west and rise in the east," Faye said jokingly.

"You should talk," Harry teased back. "Did you even comb your hair this morning?"

"I was going to finish getting ready after breakfast."

"Well, go on then. You'll have to leave soon." Mrs. Weasley said shooing Faye from the dining room.

After quickly brushing her hair and teeth, she threw on a pair of ballet flats and descended the stairs. Harry and Mr. Weasley were waiting for her by the door.

"Right, you both ready?" asked Mr. Weasley. With a nod from both Harry and Faye, Mr. Weasley unbolted the door and they stepped out into the cold, gray dawn.

"You don't normally walk to work do you?" Harry asked him, as they set off briskly around the square.

"No, I usually Apparate," said Mr. Weasley. "But as you both are unable to and I think it's best we arrive in a non-magical fashion... and it makes a better impression, given what you are being disciplined for..."

Mr. Weasley kept his hands inside the jacket of his pin-striped suit and bomber hat. Harry knew it must be clenched around his wand. The rundown streets were almost deserted as the night that Faye arrived at Grimmauld Place, but when they arrived at the miserable little underground station they found it already full of early morning commuters.

As ever when he was close to muggles going about their daily business, Mr. Weasley was hard put to contain his excitement.

"Simply fabulous," he whispered, indicating the automatic ticket machines. "Simply ingenious, you muggles. I've always had an appreciation for your adaptability to life without magic." He said to Faye.

"They're out of order," said Faye with an amused smile. Mr. Weasley's enthusiasm seemed to be contagious.

"Yes, but even so..." said Mr. Weasley, beaming fondly at them.