Across The Whoniverse #2 - "Sorry, he was a bit slow."

The Doctor, Henry Van Statten, and his assistant Diana Goddard sat hammering away at keyboards in Van Statten's office. The three were staring intently at two moving, red dots on the screen. As the three watched on, the entire screen began to flash red.

"Doctor, I can't sustain the power. The whole system is failing. Doctor, you've got to close the bulkheads."

"I'm sorry."

The Doctor pressed a key on the keyboard. Alarms began to blare out among Rose Tyler and Adam Mitchell—the two red dots being pursued by a lone Dalek. As the bulkhead slammed shut, the screen returned to normal. However, the two red dots remained either side of the bulkhead.

"The vault is sealed."

The Doctor shot up, pressing the earpiece to his face.

"Rose, where are you? Rose, did you make it?"

"Yeah. Van Statten..."

The Doctor turned to face Van Statten.

"What?"

"Sorry, he was a bit slow."

The plan had worked. Rose was safe. But, on the other side of the bulkhead remained Adam Mitchell. No phone, no Rose, and no way out. Adam slammed on the bulkhead, begging for a saviour—but, to no avail.

"Doctor, it wasn't your fault. Okay? It wasn't your fault."

The Doctor watched the screen. As the two dots pulsated away, they soon became one. But, with this, the Dalek was trapped.

"Rose. We're in Van Statten's office. We're sending some soldiers to come and get you. Make your way up here as quick as you can."

The Doctor removed the earpiece from his ear, and placed it carefully down onto the desk in front of him.

"Henry, I'm sorry."

"What? About Adam? Oh, come on, he was an intern. No big deal. Our plan worked, though!"

Goddard looked on in silent disgust. The Doctor stone faced.

"Suppose so."

The three waited as Van Statten's personal elevator edged ever closer to the floor. As it reached the top, the doors opened. Out came Rose with three Van Statten soldiers. The Doctor and Rose embraced as the others looked on.

"Oh, it's so good to see you again! You almost scared the life out of me down there."

"I'm sorry, it was all I could do. Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Well, mostly."

"Good."

The Doctor moved back over to the desk at which Van Statten sat. Van Statten—a grin struck ear to ear—practically vibrated with excitement.

"God, we did it! That thing is locked down there forever, along with the rest of the PR disaster waiting for me tomorrow."

No response. 

"Why am I the only one celebrating here?"

"Two-hundred-and-one personnel dead, sir."

"But, imagine how many more it could have been if not for us! It could have been us! Disposables, Goddard, remember?"

Goddard and the three troops shared a look.

"Take him."

The three moved toward Van Statten, encasing his arms in locks, and escorted him out toward the elevator.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Take him away, but do not wipe his memory."

"You can't do this to me. I am Henry van Statten!"

"And by tonight, Henry van Statten will be a penniless murderer living within police custody for the remainder of his life."

Goddard waved the four toward the elevator, and turned her attention back towards The Doctor and Rose.

"Now then, how did you two get here in the first place?"

"My ship—the TARDIS—but, it's in Van Statten's museum."

"That's only a few floors above The Cage. You can't go back down there, Doctor. I forbid it."

"Oh, yeah? Well who put you in charge?"

"Rose, listen to her. If we go back down there, then that Dalek gets free. We can't fight it."

"But, the TARDIS."

"I know, Rose. I know."

"You can't just let it have the TARDIS, Doctor!"

"You don't think I don't know that?"

The Doctor and Rose exchanged a look at one another. The Doctor—frustrated, but patient. Rose—bewildered, and angry.

"Goddard, what's the plan? That Dalek cannot get its hands on anything in the museum."

"I'm thinking cement. Every floor down from, and not limited to, the bulkheads. It won't stop it forever, but it will give us enough time to form a plan. I will have Torchwood on the line within the hour."

"Good. That thing deserves it for all it's done today."

The Doctor glanced at Rose, alarmed at the undertone in her voice. He looked back to Goddard.

"Torchwood? What's that when it's at home?"

"Alien intelligence. They specialise in covert operations. We had some trouble with them a few years back when Van Statten shared their interest in a piece of alien flotsam."

"So, sort've like UNIT?"

"Sorta. Much higher budget."

"Okiedoke, sounds like a good plan to me."

"What do you two plan to do?"

"Good question."

"Well, we're not getting the TARDIS back for a while—if ever. And I don't think Jackie will react well to me bringing you home six-more years late. It seems this Torchwood lot might be the place for us for now."

"So, we're stuck here?"

"Yep!"

"Possibly forever."

"Maybe!"

"Working for alien MI6?"

"Sounds good to me!"