Chapter Two, Part III - Theo

I had the princeling.

By my count, we'd lost fifteen planes of the two hundred in our base's fleet. I didn't know how many of mine were included in that number. It was an oddly populated battle, with more Kylaen airships than usual coming at us in their normal wave formation.

I'd shot down four planes, when a stagnant plane flying high overhead caught my attention. There was something about the way he flew. Careful, not engaging in the fight. Then word came over the speakers that they'd heard the princeling over the radio, talking to his brother back in Kylae. I just knew that if I shot that plane out of the sky, we'd soon hear word that the Raven military had claimed another Kylaen royal.

Call it a gut feeling.

When the plane turned and headed north, I left the melee in the air behind, knowing if I took my eyes off of it for a second, he could disappear.

I'd be damned if I'd let him go.

Several Kylaen airships followed me, but I hadn't survived five years of this shit for nothing. I rolled my ship, took a few sharp turns, all the normal evasive maneuvers to lose them. And when that didn't work, I cracked open the small emergency window on my cockpit and stuck my gun out, firing at their fuselages. Two explosions later, they were falling into the Madion sea below us.

"Whoop! Captain Kallistrate, you have points for style!"

I grinned as one of my fellow pilots came flying up beside me, taking out the other plane.

The princeling had gained some distance while I was losing his contingent of bodyguards, and I put on a burst of speed to follow him.

"Stand down. This one's mine."