Epilogue

Thursday, July 13th 2158, 11:27.

Cheongnam, South Korea.

"That was quite a feat, Special Agent Kim. You managed to shut down what was probably one of the worst and longest-lasting government conspiracies since Sung Yeonju had the rest of the presidential candidates during the 2094 Presidential Election killed or driven to suicide by false rumours," said Chief Kwon, and he chuckled at the reference. "I actually wanted to talk to you about a matter that is of utmost importance, now that you've returned from Seoul."

Doyoung furrowed his brow. Chief Kwon hadn't mentioned anything about the said matter over the phone when he'd called, he'd merely mentioned that he wanted to see him to discuss the case in preparation for the upcoming trial. "I wasn't the one who did all of the work, it was all of Unit C—especially Minhyung and Donghyuck—there wouldn't be any evidence to prosecute if it wasn't for them two. But... what did you want to talk about?"

"Right. You've been excused from punishment relating to you conspiring with Noctis behind my back, and you're not being held accountable for Yang Xufeng's death, either. However, I have been told to make it very clear to you that you're on your final warning. If anything else like this happens again, I will be forced to punish you accordingly," he explained. "That being said, because of Unit C's prompt resolution of this case and your undeniably excellent leadership, you're being promoted to Colonel."

"But... I still caused a man's death. I shouldn't be promoted simply based on that fact, if not because I allowed myself to get close to Lee Taeyong even though I'm aware of what he's capable of. I don't deserve to be promoted."

"Yang Xufeng was still a criminal, Special Agent Kim. Officially, it was wrong, but there are people inside of the organisation who agree with this specific slip-up of yours. I can understand your conscience weighing heavy on you for his death, but don't turn down this promotion just because of that. There are people who've climbed the ladder using nothing but the corpses of men like Yang Xufeng. You haven't killed that many," said Chief Kwon. "You're a hard worker, and that is a fact. You're one of our best, Colonel, and we need to reimburse you for that."

Doyoung glanced down at Chief Kwon's desk, eyeing the dark grain as he took a deep breath, preparing himself for what was to come. He'd been lying awake all night contemplating what he was going to do upon his return to the Korean Central Intelligence Agency, and he'd finally reached a decision as he left his apartment that morning. "I actually have something I'd like to say, too, if you'd spare me a while longer."

"Of course, Colonel. I can hear whatever it is you want to say, I have nothing to do but wait for the next completed case," said the older man, and he smiled. "What is it?"

It was an action that he knew, deep down, that he needed to take. He'd been kept awake constantly during his trip to Seoul that he'd spent trying to take his mind off Park Byeongho's trial.

Doyoung reached into his coat pocket and took out a white envelope that he placed on the desk in front of Chief Kwon. He watched the older man's eyes widen and his jaw fall slack as he picked it up, looking at it closely as though his eyes were deceiving him. Then, Doyoung gave him both of his badges—his official badge and the fake that he used around civilians—and stepped back from the desk. He bowed, his head almost touching the desk with how far he pushed himself.

"I'm telling you, Colonel, you don't have to be torn up about what happened—"

"It isn't that, I mean it. You were right, Chief. Me and Lee Taeyong aren't so different after all. I don't deserve to uphold the law. I can't even follow it myself, so why should I hold other people to that standard? It's hypocritical and wrong," Doyoung explained. "I'm going to start over. I'm getting older now, and the illusion of trying to be a hero to Cheongnam is losing its colour. I'm not a saint, and right now, I'm dancing on the thin line that separates right from wrong."