Chapter 22

Part 2: Drake's Fortune

Victor Sullivan

Sitting around waiting for Nate had to be one of Sully's least favorite ways to pass time. He preferred to be in the middle of the action with the kid, instead of hanging back, with his thumb hovering over the communication button, praying he made it out alive this time. Besides, he had sat around enough the last two days, goddammit, and now Nate was off on his own again, to who knew where – certainly straight into danger. He occasionally heard distant rumbling from deep within the catacombs, and each time Sully stifled a drawn-out sigh.

One person is a lot quieter than two, Nate had insisted. Sully never wanted to strangle him more than in these moments.

Elena, on the other hand, had a more productive idea; she pulled books off from shelves lining the walls, settling herself on the floor to begin reading. Resigned, Sully joined her. Both of their sixteenth-century Spanish was rusty at best, and Sully had to pause every so often to rub at his temples. This wasn't exactly his area of expertise. He'd never been the one to put his mind to extensive research. That was what Nate was for, after all.

Suddenly, the reporter sat up straighter. "Hey, Sully, I think I've found something."

Sully closed his book and came over to peer over her shoulder. "What is it?"

"I found that symbol again, the one the Spaniards used, and it looks like there's a secret gallery at the top of the church."

Sully grinned and clapped her shoulder. "Attagirl."

Turning away, Sully tried the radio a few times, and, finally, on the fourth attempt, he reached the kid and relayed the information Elena had come across. "You think you can get there?" Sully asked after he was finished.

"Think so, yea," Came his reply.

"Alright, give us a call if you find anything," Sully told him, then faced Elena again. "And we're back to waiting."

The girl looked up at him. "You think the treasure's still here after all this time?"

Sully gave a little shrug. There was no way of telling, and he was finding he cared less and less about that golden idol the longer the chase dragged on. It nothing else, he wanted closure, wanted to know if the damned thing was worth everything they almost risked to find it.

"Wherever it is," Sully spoke up, "I think Nate's got a pretty good chance at finding it."

They lapsed into silence as the two of them continued their research, on the off-chance they came across more useful information, though Sully had a sneaking suspicion they were both using it as a distraction.

Not even half an hour later, the radio crackled to life. "Hey, Sully."

Sully snatched the device off the floor. "I'm here."

"Remember Roman and Navarro, and that red-herring you found, to 'get them out of the way'?" He could hear the exhaustion in the kid's voice. The excited edge that had been accompanying him since the start was long gone; it had faded into almost that of disillusionment.

"Yea...?" Sully prompted as Elena crept closer to stand at his side.

"Well, they're sitting right on top of the treasure vault," He sighed.

Elena cursed next to him, and Sully stared down at the radio in astonishment. How could he have known he was sending them right into Nate's path? "Oh, of all the rotten luck-"

"Look," Nate cut him off, "I'm gonna need a diversion to get them out of there."

Ordinarily, he might have been a little incredulous to be sent off on some side errand, but he was responsible for this. He owed Nate that much, after everything. "You got it, kid. One diversion coming right up."