1 | hawkins = hell on earth

HAWKINS TO STEPHANIE SAXTONER WAS HELL ON EARTH.

The girl hated her hometown. It was full of mindless people with nothing else to do than just do their jobs. Steph wanted bigger things in life, she wanted to get out of Hawkins for good. Get out of the shitty place she was forced to call home.

Steph felt suffocated in her own ocean of thoughts most of the time. The wavy haired girl spent the vast majority of her time overthinking small situations like how she answered registration that morning and why she stayed up till five that previous night only to have to wake up one hour later.

She was probably described by the casual onlooker as the kinda popular girl that broke down in every single period.

But that was okay. She still had Jonathan.

Jonathan seemed to be the only one keeping her sane most of the time.

The two had been best friends for as long as they could remember, and for Jonathan, Stephanie was his only friend. They told eachother everything, even if that meant talking about their problems until they ended up falling asleep on eachother.

Jonathan felt fine with Steph as well. He felt more than comfortable.

That was until Steve Harrington interrupted.

Of course when Steve tried to spend time with Steph, she accepted. He was 'King Steve' after all. The royal highness of Hawkins High. Plus he was incredibly handsome and he had the most amazing hair.

So Steph walked into school that morning, alone, mouthing the lyrics to 'Africa' as the tune blared down her Walkman. She stopped to open up her locker and feed her books in before someone grabbed her shoulder. They pulled her round and Steph gasped. She opened her eyes hesitantly, and wasn't surprised to see Steve 'The Hair' Harrington.

Steph rolled her eyes. "Hey there."
"Good morning!" Steve exclaimed, tucking a stray strand of hair that had escaped behind her ear. Steph gulped. Although, out the corner of her eye, she saw her escape route.

Jonathan Byers.

Of course, she liked the attention. She liked being talked to by Steve Harrington. He was hot, after all.

But Steph's mind said no. It said, 'This is way to awkward.' So she was told to politely walk away, and tell Steve she would see him soon.

She reached Jonathan quickly and buried her head in his shoulder, feeling him noticeably tense up in her touch. Steph looked at him helplessly.

"I hate myself." Jonathan let out a sigh.
"What's the reason this time?" Steph huffed,
"I pushed Steve Harrington away, oh sorry, my mind told me to push Steve Harrington away." she responded.

Jonathan nodded. "Oh."
"I'm horrible." Jonathan shook his head.
"No." he tucked the same strand that had escaped once more behind her ear and Steph experienced an episode of deja vu, "You are not horrible. You just get overwhelmed. I do all the time." Steph smiled vaguely.
"And how do you cope?"
"You." Jonathan muttered incredibly quietly.
"What?" Steph questioned.
"I listen to The Clash." Jonathan covered up, scratching the back of his neck. Steph furrowed her brow.
"Okay, I just listen to Toto."

"Oh come on!" Jonathan shouted, leaning closer toward her, "Darling you've got to let me know, should I stay or should I go?" he began to sing, "If you say that you are mine, I'll love you to the end of time." Steph giggled, and their eyes lingered on each others for a while before Steph started.

"It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you," Jonathan grinned, "That's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do." The two parted ways, linking their pinky fingers before they went.
"Have fun!"
"Oh, I won't." Steph replied. And who else to be walking into her French class was it?

Steve freaking Harrington.

Oh, this would be fun.

Steph reluctantly stumbled into the spacious classroom, head down, but looking through her eyelashes at Steve with his friends, huddled in the corner.

They were nudging him and Steph watched as a smile appeared on his lips. She took her seat and immediately felt someone's presence next to her. She didn't even have to look up to know who it was.

"Hey." she grinned awkwardly towards Steve.
"Hi." Steve replied, rubbing his jaw.
"Uh, sorry about earlier.." Steph returned her gaze to the ground. It greeted her, pleased to welcome her again.
"It's fine." Steve smiled again, making her feel less uncomfortable.

Maybe he wasn't so asshole like everyone said.

Everyone being Jonathan.

"I'd really like to take you out sometime." Steve told, shocking Steph greatly. She mentally slapped herself for noticeably blushing.

"You're very bold, Steve Harrington."

"And you're very gorgeous, Stephanie Saxtoner."

Steph bit her lip, and stifled a smile.

"What do you say? Pick you up at seven for Enzo's?"

"I don't know.." Steph breathed out.

"Rock, paper, scissors." Steve randomly blurted.

"What?" Steph chuckled, amused at the floppy haired boy's words.

"Rock, paper, scissors! If I win, I'll take you out, and if you win, I'll leave you alone, despite me being terribly depressed that I won't be able to hear your voice again." Steph laughed again.

"Deal."

Steve counted them in and Steph pulled out a rock.

Whilst Steve pulled out a paper.

He smirked and placed his hand over Steph's, both of them feeling sparks as they did so.

"I guess that's decided." Steve showed a half smile.

"I guess." Steph hadn't felt this happy in a while, although she knew it would be ruined by her, overthinking late at night.

The two stared into eachother's eyes for a while, before they both felt Madam Leland's gaze on them.

"Mr Harrington, Miss Saxtoner, moins anglais plus français!" she ordered.

"Désolé, Madame Leland." Steph apologised, still grinning tightly.

"J'en suis impatiente." Steve whispered.

"Idem." Steph responded. And the two giggled like the kids they were.

"Jonathan!" Steph ran over to the brunette, who was carefully inspecting his camera.

At the sight of her, he let a smile creep onto his lips. "You look happy. No way was French actually fun."

"I'm going on a date with Steve Harrington!" Steph let out a quiet but high pitched squeal.

Jonathan felt his heart drop like an elevator when it breaks.

"Wow."

He knew that Steph shouldn't be with Steve.

She should be with him.

ahh , so first chapter ! this chapter is wayyy longer than what i usually make them , but each chap will probs consist of 1000 words.

but yeah ! first chapter published of the stranger things fic and i really hope you enjoy and love exploring steph's character !