2 | enzo's at seven

SLIPPING ON THIS PATTERNED DRESS FELT EXTREMELY OUT OF ORDER FOR STEPHANIE SAXTONER.

Something about it felt really wrong, but at the same time, it felt awfully right.

She dusted baby blue eyeshadow over her eyelids and pouted her lips to apply her red lipstick. Her cheeks were rosy with blush and the front her frizzy hair was pinned back with a coloured geometrical clip.

Yes, she looked pretty. No, she looked ugly. The massive wave washed over her again, filling her mouth with water so she couldn't breathe and restricting her access to the surface.

She snapped out of it. She looked fine.

She walked down the hall, glancing happily at her dress as it swished from side to side.

Her mother sat on the couch, a bottle of vodka cradled in her arms. She looked drowsy. She was drunk.

"Mom, I'm going out." Steph called from the kitchen, although the only thing that separated the kitchen and the lounge was the couch.

"Mhm." her mother responded.

Steph shook her head before turning her back to the door. She leaned against it and took one last look in the mirror on the wall. She looked to herself, then to her mother, who's eyes were fluttering, eager to be shut tightly.

And then, Steph saw something in the mirror's reflection that made her whole body tingle and her heart beat faster than ever.

A silhouetted movement dashing rapidly past her window.

She snapped her head towards the window.

It was gone. There was nothing there. Only the sharp glare of the headlights of someone's car.

Steph furrowed her brow in confusion, before hurrying out the door, locking it behind her.

She looked to see Steve fixing his hair in the car mirror, and when he glanced up to spot her, he blushed lightly and smiled, almost embarrassed.

Steph giggled and hopped over to his car.

"You look really nice." Steve said.

"Thank you! You look nice too." Steph replied, running her fingers through her hair.

"Are you ready?"

"Yes." Steph responded with a grin, before Steve revved up the engine of the car and drove off.

Enzo's proved to be pretty packed when they arrived.

It was mostly full of teens taking their dates out, a cheap place so they didn't waste all their allowance, but still trying as hard as they could to impress the girl.

"Hi! Welcome to Enzo's! How can I help you?" a woman approached them, her tone almost a little too cheery.

"Hey there, table for two?" Steve asked and the lady nodded, maintaining the almost creepy grin on her face.

They followed her to a table made up of two burgundy booths situated by the window on the top platform.

"Can I get you any drinks?" the woman's eyes switched from Steph to Steve very quickly.

"I'll have a root beer, and a gin fizz for the lady." Steve flashed a smile at Steph.

"Steve!" she whispered, "I don't really drink.."