Chapter 5

"Good morning, Master Bruno," Dominion smiled as she entered the young boy's room. "How are you this morning?"

"Bored," he muttered.

"You've been saying the sane thing fir two whole weeks," Dominion laughed.

"But there's nothing to do," the boy huffed, throwing his arms in the air.

"You could always play a game?" She suggested as she folded his clothes into the drawers.

"With who?"

"I don't know... Gretel?"

Brno blew a raspberry at that suggestion. "Will you play with me?" He asked.

She sighed," I'm sorry, but I can't, I have cleaning to do."

"You're always cleaning."

"That is my job."

*****

"Gretel?" Elsa called. "Gretel? Oh, Dominion have you seen Gretel?" she asked.

The girl shook her head, "No ma'am, I haven't, I could look for her if you'd like?"

"Oh  thank you, please tell her I'm looking for her."

"Of course Ma'am." 

Dominion turned, searching for Gretel, but there was no sign of her. That was, until, she found the front door to the house open, letting the summer breeze carry a girl's high pitched giggles into the house. Dominion stepped outside, the sun's rays blinding her. Once her eyes had adjusted, she saw Bruno sat under a tree by the far edge of the courtyard  Gretel was stood by the car, holding onto Lieutenant Kotler's arm, he kept pulling it away to wash the car.

"Miss Gretel," Dominion called.

Gretel turned, rolled her eyes, and continued talking to Kotler. Kurt furrowed his brow at her behaviour and turned towards Dominion.

"Good morning Dominion," he said.

"Good morning, Lieutenant," Dominion smiled.

"What are you doing out here?"

"I came to find Miss Gretel, her mother wanted to see her."

Before anyone could say anything else, Bruno came over.

"Hello  little man," Kurt said, ruffling the boy's hair with the soapy sponge," how are you this morning?"

"Can I ask you a favor?" Bruno said.

"Well, you can ask." Kurt said smugly.

"Do you have any spare tyres around here, from one of the trucks or something?"

"Well, the only spare tyre I've seen belongs to Lieutenant Meinberg," he nodded towards a rather round looking soldier by the gate.

"Well, is he using it?"

"Yes, he's very attached to it," Kurt smirked. Gretel giggled.

"Oh, stop it," she grabbed Kurt's arm," he doesn't understand, he's only eight."

"So? You're only twelve so stop pretending you're any older," Bruno snapped. Kurt looked down at his arm and pulled it away from her.

"What do you need a tyre for anyway?" She asked, trying to change the subject.

"I want to make a swing." Bruno said proudly.

"A swing?" Kurt said," that does sound exciting." He turned his head, his gaze falling on an elderly man tending to the flowers.

"You!" Kurt called, "here, now."

The man stumbled over. Dominion could see the yellow sta

"MOVE!" He yelled.

The man hobbled as quickly as he could.

"You are to take this boy to the outhouse, he will select a tyre, you will carry it where he asks. Do you understand?" The man nodded frantically, fear written all over his face. Kurt gave him a small nod. "Well little man, what are you waiting for?"

Bruno ran after the man, leaving the other three in silence.

"I'll go and see what my mother wanted," Gretel ran off, leaving Dominion and Kotler alone. Neither said a word, all she could think about was why Kotler was being so rude to that man, he was only Jewish. Dominion was suddenly all to aware of the man she was standing next to. In silence, she turned on her heel and retreated to the safety of the house.