Scene 2

Inside August's bedroom in Ivy's house. A window is open, and there is a telescope pointing out of it. August is furiously writing and, on occasion, looking through the telescope. Ivy is frantic. 

Enter Ivy.

Ivy: August! August, please don't be asleep! 

August: (irritated) What is it? I have two projects, six papers, and four finals due next week. Does your problem measure up to mine?

Ivy: Yes, it does! Let me in!

August: Does it really?

Ivy: August!

August: Fine, come in. You have ninety seconds.

Ivy: A star in the Big Dipper is gone! 

There is a pause.

August: (sarcastically) Of course.

Ivy: No, August, you have to believe me! It's the one that would make the upper right corner of the square-

August: (interrupting) Ladle. It's called the Big Dipper because it looks like a ladle. 

Ivy: Well, it doesn't look a ladle anymore!

August: Ivy, just please leave me alone. I have more work to do that I can count.

Ivy: (pointing at telescope) Will you at least use that to check?

August: Fine.

August adjusts the telescope and peers through it. After aiming, he draws back.

August: There is nothing unusual out there. Now go to bed or something.

Ivy: Can you let me see?

August: Fine, what damage can you do, anyway?

Ivy looks through the telescope. The star is still gone.  

Ivy: Look right there, August! It's right in front of us. Well, I mean, it's right in front of us through the telescope but . . . but anyway, the star is still gone! Why can't you see it? Is there something wrong with me? Is there something wrong with the star?

August: I doubt there's anything wrong with Dubhe. You, on the other hand . . . 

Ivy: But-

August: (interrupting) Get out. There is nothing going on with the Big Dipper. 

Exit Ivy.

August: I swear to God, she never lets me work.

End scene.