ONE - One Cool Summers Day

"Oh Come on Gabs," Jane Nelson, my co-worker and friend, whined through a mouthful of bagel

 "Oh Come on Gabs," Jane Nelson, my co-worker and friend, whined through a mouthful of bagel. "It'll be fun."

Sighing I tucked a stray golden hair behind my ear. "I won't know anyone there though," I said before taking a sip of my coffee.

Jane feigned a look of hurt. "Who am I then?"

In turn I rolled my eyes at her and looked out the window. We were sitting in the local coffee shop 'Common Grounds Café'. For being the first time I had stepped foot in there, I soon learnt a little too much about the place. For my liking at least.

Common Grounds Café was small, the owner was this nice old lady most of the town called Gran, and it never failed to smell like freshly ground coffee. It was nice enough, the coffee was warm and sweet.

"Yeah, come on Elle," my other friend, Valentine Boni, said as he dusted his hands off on his apron. "It's the welcome party, anyone who's anyone will be there. If you skip out you'll be seen as a loser for the rest of the year."

"Wow, and here I thought I had left high school behind me."

"It's not like that," Jane reassured while jabbing Val in the ribs. "Don't you have work to do?"

Val's mouth formed a little 'o' as he looked over his shoulder. "Right," he said turning to go back to the counter. Then he stopped. "Just think about it okay, amore?"

I nodded, even though he couldn't see me, and drained the rest of my cup. Huffing Jane did the same and crossed her arms over her chest. "Stop flirting with my friend!"

"I'm not though... I'm flirting with my friend," he called back.

The two of them had grown up together, so in my short time here I had become accustomed to their antics. It was endearing, if not a little annoying.

"I'll," I paused already regretting what I was going to say. Jane's eyes were on me before I could even continue. "I'll go to the next one okay?"

She thought about it for a second, her eyes glazed over. "Fine. No take-backsies."

Nodding I grabbed my bag that was at my feet and stood. Jane copied me. I positioned my bag on my back and gave her a small hug. She held me in place for a moment, resting her head on my shoulder.

"Are you sure you can't come over?" She asked a hint of pleading in her voice. I shook my head wordlessly. "It's pasta and Monopoly night in the Nelson household," she tried as she let me go.

Finally.

I sighed shook my head again. "Honestly couldn't think of anything worse, could you?"

"Hey!"

"I'm kidding," I laughed at her playful slap. "See you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow," she agreed.