sunny days

I sat up in bed, and breathed in the fresh morning air. My bedroom door was open, so I could hear my brother Claus making breakfast. We're twins, but he's older by a few minutes. Dad was at work, like always. Ever since Mom died, he goes to work early, and stays out late. We manage though, he gets groceries and all that stuff.

I walked downstairs in my blue striped pajamas, and I felt a wave of nostalgia wash over me. Claus was making omelets, just like Mom used to make.

"Oh, good morning Lucas!" He exclaimed, while sliding the cheesy omelets onto plates. I nodded and sat down. He set the plates on the table and sat down. We ate quickly, stuffing our faces while talking.

"That was delicious!" I say, while pushing in my chair.

"Thanks. Now go get dressed, it's school time!" He replied. So I ran upstairs and switched my PJs for a red and yellow striped shirt and periwinkle shorts. I grabbed my blue backpack and slung it over my shoulder. Claus and I ran to school together, laughing and talking.

It's always nice to be born with a permanent friend, even if we get tired of each other sometimes. I got to my locker and put my stuff away. I was closing my locker when I noticed the note taped to the inside of my locker.

"Hmm" I muttered to myself while I ripped it off. I started reading it, but was immediately interrupted by my best friend, Ness, running up to me.

"Hey Lucas!! What's that?"

"I'm not sure.." I replied, while opening the note. "Weird!" he exclaimed.

Dear Lucas,

Meet me in the sunflower field at dusk.

I showed Ness, and he quickly read through it.

"I don't know who it is, but you should probably meet them. C'mon, let's get to class now!" And he grabbed my hand and dragged me down the hallway.

At lunch I sat by Claus, Ness, and Ninten. We talked about usual stuff, and had fun together, but I couldn't wait for school to end. I ran all the way home, with Claus trailing after me. We got home, and did our homework together. That way it'd get done faster, and we could do more fun things. 

Dusk finally came and I raced out the door and into the sunflower field by our house. I sat on a little hill and waited for the anonymous person to arrive. A few minutes later I saw a figure approaching. 

"Ness! What are you doing here?" He was shaking and so was his voice. 

"W-well Lucas.. I have to tell you something.." I got up and walked over to where he stood. "What is it?"

 "I'm moving back to Onett.."

"No.. you can't be!" This can't be happening. Ness is my best friend and first crush! He's been my brother from another mother for 2 years! His mom is so nice too. 

"I wish I could stay.." We sat down and cried together. I couldn't believe that Ness was moving. We eventually laid back and started pointing out constellations to each other. We must've fallen asleep after that because that's all I remember. The next morning I was woken up by Claus leaning over my face.

"Hey guys, it's school time. So stop doing whatever you're doing and let's go get an education." I slapped Claus. I was annoyed with him for waking me up because I was tired and my time with Ness was limited now. I stood up and he slapped me back. I deserved it, so I let it happen, and we went to school together.

The next day was Saturday, so Claus, Ness, Ninten, and I played video games and got ice cream together. We talked for a long time about life without Ness. We made jokes and had lots of fun, but we all had to go home after dinner. I cried myself to sleep. I don't know what life will be like without him.

I woke up early to see Ness' boat off. We were standing on the dock together, saying our last goodbyes. 

"I'll miss you so much, Ness." I said. Suddenly, Ness leaned in and kissed my on the cheek. I felt my face turn as red as an apple. Then he pushed me into the water. 

"Hey!" I yelled as I popped out of the water. Ness laughed and ran onto his boat. I stood on the dock and waved until I couldn't see his boat anymore. His mom said they can come visit for Christmas, but I'm going to miss my best friend Ness.