Chapter-4

They got married in a simple traditional way as proposed in a small temple. It was a simple wedding. Only guest attending the wedding were the father of Adhira and Mavya's mother, her brother, her friend Krathika and her husband.

The ceremony was quite beautiful though. How Adhira was managed to convince the priest was beyond her. She concluded that not everyone in Brahmin caste was inhumane, she knew that somewhere but now when she was married to one she has to beleive it more firmly.

Her heart was beating so hard during the ritual, she thought that everyone could hear it. Her hands were shaking as she lifted them to place in Adhira's, his grip was firm on her hands yet gentle. Mavya was so nervous that she just wanted to run away from this feelings. She thought what the younger girls would go through, who was 12-13 and bonded in a huge responsibility of marriage. Her head was buzzing on the thought of it.

"Breathe." Adhira lowly said near her ear and she subconsciously released the breathe she was holding. But her talking to her didn't ease her tensions at all. Her stomach coiled in nerves as she avoided his eyes. To think that she was so much intimidated by this man- not any man- her husband.

When the priest said to stand up for the pheres she could barely stand with her heavy saree, which was the most beautiful thing she had wore in her whole life and cold feet. The grip of Adhira's hand become more firm around hers, and they gave some strength to her to move her frozen feet. Her steps was light and slow as Adhira followed behind her, the sounds of the chanting surrounding them. She squeezed his hand in the last phera subconsciously and as soon as she realised she was so embarrassed for doing that.

When they completed the pheres and Panditji said them to sit, she was so relieved. Then he gave Adhira the thali which he took and stood up to tie it around my neck. All this time she was avoiding his eyes but this time she has to look up.

Their gazes met. He was really handsome in traditional dhoti/mundu. He was looking at her and tying the thali. Mavya couldn't really breathe for a second. Everyone threw the flowers at them when the ceremony was complete. And Mavya lowered her eyes, becoming shy.

The Panditji pronounced their marriage ceremony complete and told them to take the blessings of their parents. First they went to Adhira's father, Mavya slid down on her knees and bend down to touch his feet with her hands. He blesses her and wished her a happy married life. Adhira took the blessings of her mother the same way as she took his father's. Mavya hugged her mother. Her heart was heavy because she would have to leave her but she thought she wouldn't going to cry until she saw her brother.

She went on her knees and he hugged her so fiercely she couldn't hold her tears. She was so close to her brother, she couldn't imagine leaving him behind. To think that he would be in home without having her sisters around. She will really miss him.
When they didn't separate for a while, her mother tried to separate them. Her brother was crying too. Mavya tried to stop crying being the older sister she was. She told him to focus on his studies and be good and take care of their mother and take care of himself. She couldn't say enough.

She stood up and hugged her friend who tried to console her by saying that she would take care of her brother and watch over him. And take care of their organisation too. And send letters. And she made Mavya promise that she would write back.

And then soon she was leaving her village behind, her family, her everything.

She couldn't stop crying even when they sat in the carriage and started moving. It was a horse driven carriage and it was wooden and covered from all sides with nice carvings on it. It had window from which we can see outside but Mavya kept them closed. Her husband sat in front of her seemingly unaffected by her crying and yet concerned. She wasn't making any noise though, teras were just flowing freely down her cheeks. She felt so vulnerable, she hadn't felt that way in many years.