EPISODE III: PART II.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

E P I S O D E  III.
the night shift.
part two.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

FADE IN:

EXT. SOMEWHERE NORTHEAST OF PLOVER HILL — LATE AFTERNOON.

BRAKES SQUEAL as the bus hisses to a stop. The doors open with a soft whoosh of air, and people file down the steps and onto the sidewalk. Towards the end of the line, Anika and Felix step out, squinting in the sudden sunlight and casting a glance at the town around them.

Anika pushes through the crowd of people milling outside the bus to the map tacked to the awning of the bus stop. She lowers her voice:

ANIKA
We're just a couple miles from Cheshire Cove. C'mon.

She leads Felix down the road, her head on a swivel, and then ducks into a nearby alley.

FELIX
You're sure you know where this place is, right?

ANIKA
I'm...trusting my instincts.

She draws her hand in a shimmering gold circle in the air, summoning the portal as Felix bobs his head nervously.

FELIX
Ah. (unconvinced) Foolproof.

Anika rolls her eyes and grabs his hand, stepping through the portal and tugging him through behind her. The alley melts away, replaced by woods, the rustle of wind through the trees and the smell of pine needles heavy in the air. The sounds of the town fade out as the portal closes. In the distance, the tree line opens up to a wide, glimmering view of LAKE SUPERIOR.

ANIKA
Here we go. Cheshire Cove.

Felix looks out at the water, an awestruck sort of smile on his face as he adjusts his glasses.

FELIX
Y'know, one of these days we should come to a place like this without the pressures of demon hunting. We deserve a vacation.

Anika gives him a wry smile.

ANIKA
Hell never rests, Finch. C'mon.

He huffs but doesn't argue, following on her heels as she starts their trek through the woods, making her way to the distant shoreline.

As they breach the edge of the trees, a small cabin against a rocky cliffside comes into view. It's wooden, painted a fading blue and topped with a white roof. The whole thing looks as though it might topple over from a small gust of wind, but Anika beams brightly as her eyes land on it.

ANIKA
That must be it! Let's go—

She takes Felix's hand and flicks the fingers on her other hand; before he can blink, another portal opens up and pulls them through. They land on the cabin's porch. Felix stumbles forward with a yelp.

FELIX
Jeez, Sparrow, a little warning next time!

She chuckles.

ANIKA
(not altogether apologetic) Sorry.

Anika takes a step up to the door. WINDCHIMES strung to the porch ceiling tinkle in the breeze, and she pauses with her hand held aloft just before a knock. She turns her gaze briefly to Felix, who gives a silent nod of encouragement. Then, she takes a deep breath, and KNOCKS ON THE DOOR.