EPISODE II: PART II.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

E P I S O D E II.
dead bird walking.
part two.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

FADE IN:

INT. SIMON'S CAR — LATE AFTERNOON.

The sun is sinking lower into the sky. Simon is driving his car, knuckles white, fists clenched tightly against the wheel. Paige sits in the passenger's seat. We get the sense that they've been out looking all day. It's quiet; there's nothing to say between the two of them.

They hit a light. Simon clenches and unclenches his fist. Pulls his hands briefly away from the wheel to tug at the string bracelet around his wrist—

PAIGE
Did Beth give you that?

Simon looks up, surprised out of his thoughts. After a moment, he nods.

SIMON
Yeah. She...she made it at summer camp.

PAIGE
I know.

She holds up her wrist, showing her own bracelet, woven in different colors.

PAIGE (CTD.)
I thought they were so dorky, but Beth loves this kind of stuff. She can be so corny sometimes.

Simon smiles a little, his eyes on the road.

SIMON
When—when she gave it to me, she said it was so...so that I'd be carrying something of hers wherever I go.

Paige smiles, gives a watery sort of chuckle, looks away.

PAIGE
See what I mean? Totally corny.

There's a beat of silence—Simon swallows heavily.

SIMON
We're gonna find her, Paige.

PAIGE
I know. I believe you. (she takes a breath) And then I'm gonna—I'm gonna stick a bell on her, and teach her how to do all that self-defense stuff, and not let her out of my sight. Ever. Your dates are about to be chaperoned, Simon—all of them.

Simon laughs at that, his own eyes wet. They're both trying. It's quiet, for another moment, and then Paige breaks the silence, more serious this time.

PAIGE (CTD.)
She loves you a lot, you know. Talks about you all the time.

SIMON
I...I love her too. More than I can put into words. Beth is...she's not like anyone I've ever met.

Paige looks away. She leans towards the window, her breath catching, scrubbing at her eyes with the heel of her palm.

SIMON (CTD.)
Hey. We're gonna find her.

PAIGE
I know. I know. I just...I can't get rid of this feeling that something bad happened. (she swallows, shakes her head) I'm supposed to be her big sister. I'm supposed to protect her, you know? And now, I just—I...

SIMON
She's gonna be fine. And—it's not your fault. I never should've left her alone.

Paige's response comes after a moment, quiet: