7

Watching Angelica and Dante feed each other was nauseating for Gaia, but she managed to nibble on her own food she'd chosen for lunch. She took interest in the interaction between her friend and the beta. Colton seemed to be very interested in Darla, and Gaia smiled for her friend.

Then the future head warrior and his girlfriend Heather joined the table, also obviously confused why Gaia and her friends had joined the table. Gaia already felt awkward before Brent started questioning her, but then he asked if she was okay with Dante's relationship with Angelica. She answered honestly as she could without giving anything away.

Gaia wasn't surprised to see Darla get up and leave the table. The show of affection did bother her. Her best friend was terrified of the possibility her true mate would reject her. Gaia could understand why. It really wasn't fun.

Gaia was surprised that Colton got up to follow Darla before she or Lucas could. And before she could fathom why he would, Heather opened her mouth to spew sentiments that let everyone within earshot, in a werewolf high school, know what she thought about Gaia and mate bonds. She was also Angelica's bestiest best friend and staunchest supporter.

Gaia answered, "Okay." She wasn't going to fight what she could see plain as day before her. She couldn't escape it, may as well accept it. She also wasn't going to fight Angelica's minions. Way too many of them, and the very thought of doing so just brought up memories that raised her anxiety.

The two girls sitting across from her gave her sour looks, then Angelica began cleaning up all the little containers, stowing them in her bag. Heather rolled her eyes.

Lucas fist bumped her under the table.

Dante left with Angelica.

Gaia and Lucas exchanged a look, agreeing it was time to leave. Gaia asked Randal to thank Colton for the invitation, bobbing her head at the head warrior and head cheerleader at the other side of the table before hefting her bag, and carrying her tray to the dishwasher.

On their way to his locker, Lucas commented it was interesting that Colton had followed their friend out of the cafeteria.

"I think it's safe to say she's the pretty one he was referring to."

Lucas sighed and shook his head dramatically, "He doesn't know what he's missing."

Gaia giggled.

Lucas frowned at her, "Well he doesn't! I'm a whole snack! Look at this ass!" He slapped his buttock.

Gaia laughed, "I'll take your word for it."

"Pfft, some friend you are." He kicked an imaginary pebble.

"You know I love you, just-"

"Eww." He grimaced.

Gaia nudged her shoulder against his arm. "Exactly." She opened Darla's locker as Lucas opened his, and situated her books she would be leaving from the books she would be taking home later. She had a system.

They waited by the lockers for Darla until a few minutes after the warning bell. They had each messaged her phone, but hadn't received a notification, yet. They exchanged looks of concern as they parted ways, with Lucas promising to text if their friend didn't show for last period.

The rest of Gaia's day was routine, but with a bit more attention from her classmates who'd noticed she and her friends had been invited to sit at the Alpha's table at lunch. Already there were rumors brewing. She did her best to ignore it, though some of it was downright hurtful. It didn't help she knew when Dante was kissing Angelica, which happened to be between each class.

She was happy to see texts from both of her friends that Darla showed up for final period. The thought of seeing them both before leaving brightened her day.

She wasn't surprised to see Dante already at the lockers waiting for her, intruding on her last moments with her friends. She was surprised at the rumble she heard when she gave Lucas a quick hug.

He could have a girlfriend he was just shy of bedding and she couldn't have a close male friend? Rude.

She couldn't help but demand an explanation. In the brief space of time they had before Angelica joined them, she said, "You can kiss your girlfriend all day long, openly shunning me, but I can't have a close guy friend?"

"How close."

"He's one of my best friends, close. He's like a brother, close." Gaia watched in awe as Dante obviously had to seize control of his wolf. "He's gay, he is in no way interested in me."

"Are you interested in him."

Gaia grimaced, "No!" She skidded to a halt, because he had stopped and turned to face her and she had no choice but to look him in the eye. She swallowed. She could get lost in those baby blues if she didn't catch herself.

He stopped before they got to his car to quickly say, "You only love me, eh?" He smirked, turned on his heel and resumed his pace to get in his car, bee-lining straight to Angelica.

She was already waiting by his car. Her twin, Brent and Heather were all waiting with her.

Gaia felt her anxiety rise seeing the small crowd of ranked and elites waiting for them. Their collective resentment of her intrusion into their radar was palpable. She felt their glares as she waited for the door to unlock.

She was grateful to see they were all leaving quickly, but a little irritated that Angelica was joining them. Especially when she realized he wouldn't be dropping her off until later after dinner.

At the house Gaia went straight to her room, closing the door behind her and leaning against it. She slid down the door until she was sitting on the floor, closed her eyes and focused on her breath. She gave herself fifteen minutes to process the day so far, and then five minutes to push herself to dive into her homework, right after hooking her phone to the charger.

When the alarm sounded she had completed her assignments and just had a bit of studying for upcoming tests to do after dinner. She was pleased she was able to keep herself occupied. She shoved her phone in her pocket and descended to the kitchen.

This time Angelica was cooking. Dante was at the counter, putting together a salad.

Gaia quietly entered the kitchen and filled three glasses with water, and setting three place settings on the island. She didn't acknowledge them, and they didn't seem to notice her.

By the time dinner was done, Gaia was sitting in the same stool she'd occupied the night before and earlier in the morning. This was now her stool. She was claiming this stool as hers.

"Oh, hi Gaia," Angelica said. "Thank you for setting plates out."

"Hi Angelica. Thank you for making dinner."

"Oh, y'know, it's just something a Luna should know how to do," Angelica chirped.

"Of course," Gaia stated plainly, rolling her eyes. She piled servings of the dishes Angelica had prepared. Pan fried chicken breasts with cooked carrots, baby potatoes, and green beans. As she ate, she eyed the pair she was sharing these meals with.

These two were making choices that were having an affect on her life and well-being, without her input, and that wasn't fair. She didn't feel like facing the two of them together, but they weren't giving her many options.