Chapter 7

"Are you going to bother telling me how exactly these sheep got lost?" Peach spoke to Adalida's back. Adlaida spun around in her saddle.

I found a group of them, while I was out looking for you." She looked at her hard, before spinning back to face front in her saddle, " I penned them up at a abandoned ranch in the hills, until I had the chance to return them to their very rich and grateful owner."

"I see," Peach said as she spurred Icaurus into a canter. The horse's hooves thundered against the baked earth, and the wind whistled past Peach's ears. The ky was wide and clear all around them. They didn't pass any other travelers as the made their way towards the base of a small mountain range. It was just them and the sky and the waving yellow grass.

"Evangeline said we're running low on meat at camp," Adalida called out, the wind dragging her voice back to Peach's ears, "If you see anything, take a shot at it."

Peach nodded her head, but didn't reply. She'd been hunting all her life. Despite her mother's protests her dad had been taking her into the woods and letting her shoot guns as soon as she could walk. She thanked him every day for those lessons. Without them, she would have been dead long ago.

Peach had the best aim in all the gang, so she was usually in charge of bringing home dinner, and doing the other unsavory jobs that involved guns. Adalida slowed Starr down a bit, and pulled her rifle out out from behind her saddle. Without slowing their horses from their run, she handed the rifle to Peach beside her.

One hand on her reins, Peach reached out and grabbed it. She slung the strap over her shoulder. Adalida urged her mare faster until she took the lead again in front of Icarus.

What they were doing now, was Adalida's specialty. Livestock rustling was her favorite pastime. She'd grown up on a ranch and knew exactly how to separate the animals from their careful caretakers. She'd then return them back to their homes and leave with a hefty reward for her efforts. No one every expecting the pretty girl of anything nefarious.

That's how the gang got away with most things. Of course, they'd been caught redhanded a few times, leading to the bounties on all of their heads. Most of the time, however no one would suspect the pretty little cowgirls, just passing through.

As the land started to rise up towards the stony peaks, they slowed their horses down to a trot. Icarus and star were already breathing hard, from the quick pace they'd kept. There was no need to urge them to run up a mountain.

Once the wind and cacophony of hooves had stopped the world seemed so quiet around them. As the grasslands sported into a pine forest. The silence between Adalida and Peach was glaringly apparent. Not even the birdsong echoing form the trees seemed to be loud enough.

"So," Adalida's voice was cautious, "I'm sure you want to say something to me."

Peach's hands tightened around her reins. Adalida, her oldest friend, the one who had been by her side though countless fights, had gone over her head to Belle. She had plenty of words to say to her, but perhaps a bullet would tell everything she wanted to convey in an instant.

"It's fine," Peach said, pushing Icarus past Adalida.

"Peach, come on I'm sorry."

Adalida nudged Star closer to Icarus. Peach held up her hand, halting her. Instinctively, Adalida reached for her pistol holstered across her shoulder. Peach's hand gripped the rifle that Adalida had given her. She only had one shot, before she would have to reload. She shouldered the gun, keeping the barrel level. With one eye she looked down the gun through the iron sights.

Her heart was pumping blood so fast she could hear it roaring in her ears. She exhaled a long breath, as she squeezed back on the trigger. The gun bucked against her, slamming her shoulder back. Peach smiled. She reloaded the gun, making sure the bullet was in the chamber, before sliding out of her saddle.