Chapter 9

The terrain shifted slowly around them, until they were in a place Peach had never recognized before. She breathed in the cool crisp air. The horses and wagons meandered their way down a narrow rocky path. Down below them The Bowl stretched out for hundreds of miles, before be interrupted by the distant mountain peaks. Rolling hills of green grass flowed into crystal clear springs. Even from the distance, Peach could spot herds of buffalo and deer grazing amongst the grass. Above them pure white clouds lifted lazily through the pale blue atmosphere. Peach could only imagine the view of the stars in a place like this.

Far to the left end of The Bowl, trails of smoke could be seen polluting the pristine sky, from the small town of Pristine. Anything they couldn't forage from this lawless wild, like booze and tobacco, they could pick up there. Not that Peach would ever want to venture into another town. Not after witnessing a beautiful wide open place like this.

The horse's happily hopped off the bottom of the crumbling rocky path into the lush grass. All around them they were encircled by the high peaks of the mountains. The Bowl had probably been formed thousands of years ago, when the two mountain ranges had decided to converge with one another, leaving just enough room in between for Heaven on Earth.

The rumors of federal agents and police had been the only thing that had kept Peach from coming here sooner. She shook her head, what a silly thing to worry about, what a silly thing to keep her from this wonderful place.

Belle raised her eyebrow, knowingly, at Peach.

Peach ignored her. There was nothing she hated more then proving Belle right. She had been, of course, all dangers aside, this really was the best place they could be. So many miles of beautiful untouched land. Outlaws like them, could hide out forever without any risk of being found out.

Ashe had parted from the group, before they'd even ascended the other side of the mountains. Now, she rode through the tall grass back to them.

"I think, I've found a good place for us to set up." She said, both her and her horse panting for breath.

Belle kicked Dahlia into a trot, "Lead us there then."

The place Ashe had picked out for the camp was surprisingly perfect. A tall stand of trees circled the back of the camp, protecting it from harsh winds and prying eyes. The opposite end of the camp, was at the base of a tall hill. A perfect spot to set up a look out. Wrapping around the base of the hill, a small stream babbled by. The melted snow water, would be a invaluable resource.

As Icarus stomped across the stream, Peach could see fish darting away from Icarus' hooves. She smiled. She could live out here for years, and never have to make a stop in Pristine. Now if she could only find a way to distill her own liquor.

"Alright, women, Let's get our new home set up," Belle called out. She was still seated high on her horse, as the others set to work unloading the wagons, and pitching the tents.

"Peach, ride with me." Belle pulled her horse around away from the camp.

Peach started to object but Evangeline looked up from the ground to her.

"I'll get your tent set up, just the way you like it." Her eyes were bright with excitement. Evangeline lived for being off the grid. As long, as she had something to cook she was happy. Peach thanked her. Compared to the others, Evangeline was still innocent. She lived her life as the cook to a band of outlaws, and se couldn't be more content.

Peach kicked Icarus after Belle. Belle had stopped at the top of the hill nearest the camp. She was gazing out at the land as if it all belonged to her. Her black hair tossed in the breeze, her smile wide.