Chapter 19

<<Ryder>>

I decided to use a subtle approach. I didn't want to shock her more than she seemed to already be.

I sat next to her. She didn't seem to notice me. I didn't say anything at first. I just bathed in the comfortable silence that lingered between us, accompanied by the occasional whiffs of cold air.

Stell had three bus tickets in her hand, but she was staring in front of her, at a specific part of the street that didn't seem to be of any significance to me.

I put my hand on her shoulder hesitantly. "Hey" I spoke softly.

She turned to face me, her face as gloomy as today's sky. The blue of her eyes was faded into a bluish grey.

"What's wrong?" I tried again "you had me worried about you" she didn't answer. She looked down at white bus tickets, and suddenly a single tear fell and landed on the top one.

"Let's get you home?" I asked which she also didn't answer. I stood up, took her empty hand and lifted her up, which thankfully she didn't disobey.

When we started walking she didn't let go of my hand so I did it myself. However, she squeezed it which made me not bother try letting go of it anymore.

We didn't talk. We just walked, hand in hand, back to the apartment.

When we eventually got there, I opened the door with my keys and let her in.

I was starting to grow impatient and more worried. She wasn't speaking a word, and as much as I feeling relieved that she's here and safe with me, it still worried me.

She threw the bus tickets in the bowl I keep my keys and stuff in on the coffee table, while I went to the coat rack to hang my jacket.

The apartment is always warmer than the outside. And i mean unbearably warm that sometimes you think it's spring or summer when it's hella winter.

When I turned around, Stell wasn't there. I looked right and left but couldn't see her anywhere.

Then I heard a sniffle from behind the couch.

I went around and found her sitting on the floor behind the couch, her back to its back. Her forehead was resting on her folded arms which were sat on her folded knees.

I sat in front of her. "Stell you need to tell me what's wrong or else I can't help you"

"Why do you wanna help me?" what kind of stupid question was that?

"Of course I wanna help you because I care about you"

"You didn't even remember it" she sighed. "I knew you wouldn't but I still had hope" remember what? What was she talking about?

She's been talking about me remembering something for weeks, but I didn't know what was it and she wouldn't tell me.

"Okay I'm sorry I didn't remember whatever it is that I should. Is that what's upsetting you?"

"I f*cking loved him so much" she cried and shook. Loved him? Loved who?

"Okay who is he?"

"He was with someone else" she said but I didn't understand because her head was still in her arms. "It broke my heart to lose him even though he wasn't mine"

Oh so it was about a boy

"Can you be more specific?" I asked but she didn't say anything. I decided to give her some space went to make us something to eat.

I didn't realize how much of good distraction cooking was. It really helps to get your mind off things and you end up with food. It's a win-win.

I somehow felt a presence behind me, and when I checked it was Stell in the doorway. She was wearing my t-shirt and her pajama bottoms, but I didn't think she was aware that it's my t-shirt not hers. I swear to hell that girl can't stand staying a straight hour in jeans.