Chapter 11: Against The Odds.

A/N

Warning: you're about to read a cringe-worthy chapter so prepare your mind for it. My characters are very flawed and are not perfect Muslims.

See a picture of Zayn above. I hope you like it. Who is ready to see Omar and Hannan?

*****

Against The Odds.

Everyone slowly deserted the room and Imran's mum and her co-wife left to attend to some new guests whom I assumed were other close relatives.

Again, Imran had disappeared into the thin air and so did the others, leaving me alone in grandma's room. I headed towards the main room where the guests had gathered and I saw some of the guests exiting the room one after the other. The party was slowly coming to an end.

I headed downstairs and made my way towards the front door. Immediately I opened the door, a cool breeze hit through my fabric and landed on my skin. I felt my body shiver a little as I descended the perron, supporting myself to balance on my heels by pressing a hand against the wall.

"What a good time to snuggle my blankie," I said under my breath, looking up at the sky, I saw that the stars were scantier than I remembered. Where did all the stars go? It couldn't be that they fell off the sky just as dad would say when I was little.

My mind temporarily drifted to my father and suddenly I realized how much I had missed him. I wished he was still here. He always had answers to all my questions. Why was I feeling this way all of a sudden? Like a sad little child.

Again, my legs hurt so I quickly slipped off my heels and laid them next to the entrance door. I ignored the coldness of the serene atmosphere outside and started to wander on the lawn barefooted. My feet felt relaxed, stepping onto the soft lawn.

The exterior was naturally captivating with the flowers, the lawn, the trees, and even the pool. Despite the highly modernized architecture, the surroundings drew me closer to nature. This was the importance of having your own space. We lived in an apartment building so there was hardly any space to cultivate your flowers. One couldn't even sit outside to breathe in the fresh air, you'd always have strangers lingering and most of the men that came around the neighborhood as visitors would dig their eyes into you, trying to look through you. It was Haram(forbidden) but nobody gave a damn about that.

I stopped walking and sat on a trunk of dead wood which was laying horizontally somewhere in the compound.

My phone kept buzzing in my purse. I ignored it because I guessed mum was calling. I knew she was going to whine me to death, telling me to come home. I didn't want to go home. By the way, I didn't know what time it was but I felt it was too early to leave and I was anticipating a surprise from Imran. It was the reason I deliberately put my phone on vibration so she couldn't ruin my precious moments.

"Hey, what are you doing here all by yourself? '' I raised my head to see Imran standing behind me. He had taken off his tuxedo jacket, leaving on a white long-sleeved shirt under a cummerbund, his tie was slightly loosened around the neck, exposing his collar bone.

"Nothing, I just felt like taking a walk outside and I came across this beautiful" I tapped lightly on the log.

"It does look beautiful, does it?" He asked. It sounded more like a statement than a question. He crossed over to sit near me but left enough space so our bodies didn't touch.

"I guess it does," I smiled. He might never understand my connection with nature. After all, he was an IT guy, he dealt more with artificial intelligence while I was more of a nature lover. I loved flowers, gardening, and a lot of other cool stuff.