Chapter 12

No one spoke for a moment.

Finally, it was Spy who asked: "Is this some kind of magic hallucination you're giving us?"

"Mm...no," Zelda shook her head. "You're seeing correctly," she exchanged a smirk with Bea, before looking back to the intruders in front of her. "Why don't you ask your wizard friend how and why my sister is alive again, despite the fact that you shredded her with an explosive?" she lifted her hand and made a sweeping gesture towards Merasmus.

Demoman turned to look at Merasmus, appalled. "You!?"

Merasmus stammered, trying to explain, "I-I did not know who this woman was! Zelda – why wouldn't you tell me!?"

"You didn't think to ask," Zelda replied innocently, before snickering. "Honestly, are you just becoming allies with anyone these days? Is that why you're staying by the side of these vermin? I suppose anything is good for you if there's enough money involved!"

"Silence!" Merasmus shouted at her, and his shout caused the chandelier to rattle again. "You had better watch your mouth, I have been at this much longer than you have, you wench!"

Without any warning, Bea lunged forward and got Zhanna in a headlock, attempting to drag her away. "Argue if you have to, but this one's mine!"

Zhanna shrieked in alarm, but she acted quickly and bit down on Bea's arm, hard. Bea yelled, releasing her grip just long enough for Soldier to slam into her at full speed, knocking her away from Zhanna.

"You leave my wife alone, you pathetic stupid hippie!" Soldier yelled as he pinned Bea down and attempted to snap her neck. "We'll kill you over and over if that's what it takes!"

Bea, however, acted fast, and she got a hand free to grab her handgun. She fired, shooting Soldier in the shoulder and causing him to fall backwards with a shout. Zelda flung a mystery powder from one of her dress pockets onto the houseplants near the cabinet at the same moment. The house plants swiftly grew and twisted, and their branches encircled Soldier's neck, forming a noose and suffocating him.

Zhanna let out a scream at the sight, and she pulled out her pocket knife to cut the vines. Sniper and Demo both rushed over as well, using their own knives to free Soldier from the plant. Heavy took the opportunity to rush at Zelda, grabbing her and pinning her against the wall.

"You hurt my family, I kill you!" he boomed, voice full of rage.

Zelda tensed up, but she just laughed, giving a flick of her hand. Heavy didn't hear what she said; all he knew was that a swarm of insects had suddenly appeared on his back. Heavy let out a shriek, backing up and vigorously trying to brush the bugs off of himself. Zelda dropped to the ground, and she got a hold of the same sand from her pocket. She sprinted over and threw it on her collection of armor, and in an instant, the armor began to glow and vibrate.

Merasmus turned around just in time to see the suits of armor self-assemble, just as Soldier was freed from the plant. Once assembled, the suits began to march, and Merasmus shouted at Zelda, "You've summoned an army of armor?! What is it, too afraid to fight us yourself?"

"Oh, you're very wrong about that!" Zelda sneered, charging up a ball of energy. She blasted it in Merasmus's direction, but he ducked just in time. The ball of energy hit the cabinet behind him, shattering a vintage tea set that had been sitting there.

As the attack began, one of the newly created armor-soldiers swung his sword towards Scout's head. Scout dodged the blow, and in a swift motion, he swung his bat and knocked the helmet off the rest of the body.

"See? Nothin' to it!" Scout scoffed, but froze when he noticed the suit put its head back on. "...Damn it!"

The mercenaries tried everything they could to stop the suits from attacking, but nothing seemed to work. However, just as Medic had helped Heavy recover from the insect attack, he had a realization.