Chapter 7 - Apologise

"With all due respect, Master Windu, but I don't think a bodyguard is necessary," Duchess Kalesto dismisses.

"Young, you are. More vulnerable, most certainly," Yoda looks to Obi-Wan who couldn't help but agree.

"I may be young but I am not incapable of taking care of myself," a more childish tone took over, further proving the council's concern.

Yoda catches her small nervous glance at the council. "Trust us, you do not,"

"I trust you all as much as I would any other stranger, forgive my slight unwillingness to entrust lamp post-wielding, bath robe-wearing peacekeepers with my life!" she stomps her foot before storming off in a fuming flurry.

~~~

"Kalesto, I must insist you listen to the council," Padme stops the girl with Chuchi by her side after Anakin had let her know about the outburst. "You're still young-"

"It's always about my age! I'll be fine without a Jedi following me 24/7," she huffs, "I'm nearly fifteen!"

"Yes, but here you are throwing a tantrum and insulting the council," Padme exclaims, "this is the behaviour that-"

"Girls," you greet all three with hands behind your back, stern features and concern at the scene being made. "What's going on?"

"Kalesto insulted the council and called them bed lamp wielding, bath robe-wearing peacekeepers," Chuchi says calmly before Padme could.

"Lamp post, actually," the duchess corrects under her breath. While the temptation to laugh was strong, you instead shake your head. "It wasn't my fault! They tried to give me a bodyguard and I do not need a bodyguard!"

"Whether or not you need one, the council's advise is not to be taken lightly- and the council is not to be insulted... no matter how truthful your words may be," you wink, rubbing her shoulder. "But you will be apologising,"

~~~

Nervousness itched at your skin worse than poison ivy. The last time you were here, many years ago, you had laid your lightsaber down in front of them. Renouncing your days as a Jedi was the day your life took a turn, for better or for worse, you weren't so certain; even now, you wonder if leaving was the right choice.

Plastering a smile on your face, you revert to your more extroverted side, walking through the halls of the Jedi temple as you did during your youth.

"You're nervous, we can turn back now," Kalesto sings, grunting when you continue to lead her forward with a hand on her back.

"Not a chance," down the same corridors, taking the same turns, you watch as younglings rush past with laughs. "You better apologise, and you better mean it,"

"Yes, ma'am," she grumbles, walking by your side as the doors open the moment you knock.

"Y/n L/n," Yoda was the first you saw, his welcoming greeting met with small murmurs.

"Y/n?" Obi-Wan immediately fixed his posture and hair earning a small snicker from Master Fisto.

"Forgive my intrusion, Master Jedis," you gesture Kalesto forward, "but I believe Duchess Kalesto has much to say," giving her one last look, you were thankful she proceeded with the needed apology.

"I just want to say... I'm sorry," eventually you drown out her words the moment you see Obi-Wan on a council chair. Your jaw clenches, at eye contact, face immediately diverting attention back to Master Plo who holds his hand up.

"I think it is obvious what must be done about all this," he looks to Master Yoda who nods. "Y/n, we request you rejoin the order and be assigned as Duchess Kalesto's personal bodyguard,"

Silence, confusion and over all shock clouded the air as you were put in a blank state, not knowing how to reply.

"Join the order? After I left?" you stammer, walking forward as Kalesto steps back, thankful no more attention was put on her.

"Surely not," Obi-Wan looks to the others, "Y/n left on her own accord, that should be enough to not let her back-"

"Hey, I can join again if I want," your arms cross.

"Oh, I don't doubt that but whether we let you is the real question," he leans forward in his seat, not getting up but hands planted firmly on the armrests. "You abandoned the order, you abandoned your duty, abandoned peace." While he never raised his volume, irritation was evident in his voice.

"I didn't abandon anything!" taking a step forward, the council shared looks and eye rolls at the two of you.

"It seems only we know of your reason, Y/n," Master Windu says more than asks.

"A reason to be kept quiet, as agreed, Master Jedi," stepping back to the centre, it was obvious curiosity took a hold of Obi-Wan. "It is not of relevance, and not applicable since my departure,"

"Then surely said, it can be, hm?" Yoda found amusement in his words as Master Ti shook her head with a smile.

"I think that's enough," she stood and walked to you. "Y/n, will you do this for the council? Please, re-join, and leave once Kalesto needs a body guard no more... if you so wish,"

"Why? Why can't I just stay out of the order and protect Kalesto?" the doors behind you then open to reveal a clone trooper holding a small box.

"Thank you, commander Cody," Shaak Ti takes an odd box from him, hands unravelling the cloth tying it together before it clicks open. "If you stayed out of the order, Y/n, then we would not be able to give this back,"

Now facing you, the box held an object covered with another cloth. Unfolding it, cushioned was the first weapon you took in your hand. Fine metal and an even finer finish, this was once your life... the life you left behind.

~~~

Hope everyone is doing well !!

- Anna ❤️