18

A bright ray of sun peaks through the curtain on my window, making me groan and throw my blanket over my eyes. It takes me a minute to process the night before, moments slowly piecing themselves back together. I quickly remember that Billy definitely slept over.

I jolt up, looking to the side of my bed where he fell asleep last night. Instantly, I sigh in relief at the empty spot. He must've left while I was still asleep. That definitely would've been hard to explain to my dad.

I rub my eyes with my hands to adjust to the new day and the absurdly bright light. Flashbacks of last night flood my head, and I can't help but cringe at what I said. I touched his hair and told him it was perfect. How can I come back from that one?

Then, I remembered the story he told me and how apologetic he was for involving me in the chaos. I told him I might help him get his money back and then I proceeded to tell him to rub my back to help me fall asleep. Nice going, Lace.

I groan, not wanting to recall any more memories of the night. I am taken out of my embarrassing thoughts when I hear a knock on the door.

"Come in," I say softly, my voice awfully hoarse from drinking the night before.

The door opens, and my dad's face appears with a look of concern. "Sweetheart, your shift starts in less than an hour. Why aren't you getting ready? Is everything okay?" He takes a seat on my bed, worry lines evident on his forehead.

Panicked, I jump from my bed and rush to grab the towel that hung on the back of my door.

"You fell asleep in your clothes last night? Where did you go?" My father asks, making me come to a halt in my panic and remember that I did indeed get tucked in with my clothes on and didn't tell him my plans.

My brain scrambles for something to say. After fumbling with my towel for at least two minutes in silence, I decide to say, "I actually went out with Nikki last night. I got home late and couldn't bother to change my clothes."

The shock on my dad's face made me wonder if he believed me at all. He followed with, "Oh? I didn't know you girls were on good terms again."

"We're...working through it. I have to get ready, though. I'll see you later!" I say, desperate to get out of this situation. It was hard lying to my dad, especially after it had been just him and me for the past two years. I scurried out of the room and into the bathroom before he could ask any more questions.

--

Work carried on as usual. Sweat and dirt seeped underneath my skin, eating away at my sanity. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to work here, but then I catch a glimpse of my dad, doing more than I ever have, and know that I have to stay for him.

I count the money that we had gathered throughout the week, tedious work that I'm fully accustomed to. The phone rings, as usual, and I pick it up, ready to muster my best customer service voice.

"Myers Performance Plus Automotive, how can I help you?"

"Hi princess," a familiar voice says on the other line. Redness immediately rushes to my cheeks.

"Billy?" I say in a hushed tone, my dad mere feet away. "You shouldn't be calling me here." I want to be mad at him for this but for some reason I can't.

"How else am I supposed to hear your beautiful voice, Lace?" He asks and I am blushing once again.

"I guess that's fair. But you have to earn my home phone number, Billy. I don't just give it out to anyone," I tease. I hear him chuckle across the line.

"I think I can win that challenge. You don't know how persistent I can be, sweetheart." God, the names he calls me always send me over the edge.

I suck in a breath before I respond, "I think I'd be willing to find out."