Home Sweet Home

The house is just as she remembered.

It may have gotten a new coat of pale yellow paint and it's screen door replaced, but it's still the same two story childhood home she grew up in. She opens her door and gets out of the truck just as the screen door to the house opens and her mother steps onto the porch.

Ana always felt as if she were looking at a future version of herself whenever she saw her mother. They share the same wavy brown hair, though her mothers has a few gray throughout. Their eyes are the same light brown, same button noses, and stubborn chins. The only difference is their height. Ana is a bit on the taller side standing at five six while her mother is barely five feet. She obviously inherited her height from her father.

"My little one has returned," her mother says with arms open.

Ana doesn't waste any time walking right into the arms she's missed more than she ever let on to anyone. She takes a minute to inhale the sugar cookie and lavender smell that is always surrounding her mother. "I'm not little anymore mom."

Her mother tsks, "Nonsense, you're my baby. Therefore you will always be my little one."

Ana rolls her eyes in a way all children seem to do when dealing with coddling parents but she smiles, secretly loving the attention. Being away from family has been harder than she thought it would, and she didn't realize just how much until her mother's embrace. 

Her mother steps back to look at Ana, rubbing her arms affectionately. "Let me get a look at you, those FaceTime sessions only let me see you from the head up." Ana tries to resist squirming under her mother's gaze. "Just as I thought, you are in need of some fattening up. Don't worry, I've made all your favorites. Kalua Pork, Pastele Stew, and some Butter Mochi for dessert." Ana's mouth waters even as her protest arises.

"No way mom, that will go straight to my butt!" Her mother makes a face showing, obviously thinking Ana's butt could do with a little fattening. Ana isn't anorexic or anything, she's about a size five but with all the walking and running she has to do in New York, it makes for some very toned legs and rear.

"Nah, it'll bypass that and go straight to your thighs." Leighton jokes while setting her bag and suitcase on the porch. Ana shoves his arm almost sending him down the two stairs he'd just climbed up. 

Her mom smiles before scolding, "Okay you two, don't start. I'm not going to wait around while you have a wrestling match on my front lawn." She then turns and enters the house leaving the two grown adults snickering like children on the porch. 

Memories.

"You gonna come inside for some food?" Ana asks Leighton.

"Normally I wouldn't pass up a meal at your moms but I have a job to finish at the high school."

She apologizes, "Sorry, I forgot you got roped into picking me up on your lunch break."

Leighton smiles, not bothered in the least, "It was no problem, part of the perks of being one of the bosses is I get to make my own hours. Besides, I forgot to grab my gym bag earlier so I would have had to come back this way anyway. Tell your mom I said bye." Ana nods.

"Thanks Leight."

He gives her a salute before walking across her mother's lawn to the house next door. She watchs him jog up his stairs, stairs she sat on quite a bit throughout the years. She grabs her bags and is about to go inside when Leighton calls to her from his porch. She warily glances his way hoping someone hasn't joined him there in the minute it took her to retrieve her bag, and is relieved to see he's alone as he says with a smile, "Welcome home."