Chapter 3- The Yiaming Rodeo

Ahh, the Good Old Yiaming Rodeo. Jess Had already done the Campdraft earlier In the day on her Young Gelding, She took out Juvenile and won on a 89.7 before placing 2nd in Ladies on a 88.9 in the First round, Putting her in the finals the following day. It was now Time for the Barrel Race, Jess wasn't a barrel Racer thats for sure but she always gave it a go. She jumped onto the Flea Bitten Grey Gelding and warmed him up before she noticed Someone she knew over at the Chutes. "Fancy Seeing You Here". Jess Laughed as Luke Looked up. "Could Say the same about you, Doing the Barrel Race?" He asked. "Yes Sir, You bet. Guess you're doing broncs" She said in the same Tone, "Yes ma'am, Always do. Good Luckkk". He laughed as her name got called. She walked the Gelding to the Arena and he pranced around. "Here We Go ladies and Gentlemen Hold onto your hats! This Young Cowgirl blew us away in The Campdraft and I'm sure she'll do the same here. This is Local Girl Jessica Emlot Riding a Little Grey Gelding she likes to Call Convoy". The Rodeo Guy said, dragging out the C and Y in Convoy's name. "Get up" She said, Only squeezing the gelding in the ribs as he hooned the first barrel. He wrapped it perfectly much like he did with the other two before they made their way home. "I told you to hold onto your hats man that was fast! And Jess Has taken out the Junior barrel title Tonight With an Amazing 13.27 Seconds!" Jess Gave the Gelding lots of Praise as he pranced out. She got lots of Good jobs and she caught Lukes Eye, He gave her a quick Smile and thumbs up before going back to checking his gear.

It was About two Hours Later, It was now Pitch black and They were about to get underway with the Broncs. Jess Stood at the Back of the chutes. All of the guys were used to her being there Helping her Brother and giving him the scolding he always got when he was getting too full of himself. Once she had him Half Situated she Took her Role Up over with the Broncs, Making sure none of them were lame and That any Late entries Had Horses. Then It was Time for her to go get on her Little Brumby Banjo. By the Time she had Gotten Back Jake Had been and It was the Last Rider of the Night. "We've Now got Local Boy Luke Salmore who's Gonna show us what he's got tonight! Luke's Going towards the APRA rodeo Card so Let's all Wish Him luck tonight Ladies and Gents''. Everyone Cheered and Jess Stood up in the Stirrups and cheered and Whistled. Their Mate jacob cheered too, Him unlike the rest had already seen Luke ride Broncs and Could Confirm he was amazing. 

"You'll wanna Watch this One Jessy", Jacob said to the Girl. Luke sat On Top Of one of the Massive Broncs, Out of all the broncs he could've drawn he got Bush basher. One of the Horses Jake and Jess's Family Had given the Rodeo. He was a mean Horse, The amount of Yards he had broken and gotten out of was unreal. He Nodded and Jess Held her breath and The seconds Ticked by. "And That's an 8 second Ride for Luke Salmore on Bush basher. And with an 89.7 that puts him in First Place, Right Behind Him on a 89.6 is Jake Emlot". Jess cheered for her Brother and Friend as she then Took Banjo Into the Arena for Pickup. She did Pickup for About an Hour before taking Banjo back to the truck. Once the boys had rode, Luke's parents and Jake and Jess's parents headed off back to their stations. Luke was gonna be staying with Jess and Jake and their parents would be coming back once the week was over, Their parents trusting they would be good and Look after each other. One of her friend of a friend came over, She could clearly tell the guy was bat shit drunk. "Come Here Jessy". He said, His words Slurred. She ignored him and Jumped off banjo. She took his bridle off and picked up the rope halter when The guy jumped at her and Grabbed her, Pinning her to the truck. Spooked, and Having nothing Holding him back, Banjo jumped around and Galloped off. Jess was in trouble now, Their truck was nowhere near the main area and nowhere near anyone else. "Let me go". She said as the guy tightened the grip on her wrists.

She fought with all her strength but the guy kept touching her. "Get your hands off her!" A Voice Jessica had grown to love over the last two months said. Luke. He ripped the Guy off Jess and Sent a punch right to his face. "Wanna go mate". He threatened, The guy almost looked like he was gonna send a Swing Lukes way but he just turned around and stumbled off. Jess Stood there petrified, She couldn't hear what Luke was saying as she zoned out, So when he pulled her into a hug she flinched Badly. "Shhh Jessy, You're okay... It's me-". She dissolved into Sobs. "T-Thankyou.." She muttered into his chest as he held her. "If he comes near you, or even speaks to you again. Come right to me please". Luke said as Jess Nodded her head. The two stayed there like that for a while. They sat in front of the fire they had there and when Jake came back an hour later his face was thunderous seeing one of his friends and his sister together, Jess leaning her head on his shoulder asleep. Luke quickly filled Jake in and he thanked him before the two boys took her inside of the truck so she could get sleep. The guys headed back out and talked till around midnight.

The next day Jess Woke Up, Pushing what happened to the back of her mind. She had made it to the ladies final and boy was she excited. She pulled on a Hot southern Miss Tank Top and an Old pair of Wrangler jeans and walked out of the truck. It was only 6:30am and the Campdraft started at 7. The boys were both sitting around the Fire, talking when they both Looked up at Jess. "Shouldn't you be getting ready?" Jake asked. "Nah, I messaged Hannah and asked if I could go last instead". She replied, Sitting down on one of the camping chairs. The speaker was going quietly in the background before Jake grabbed his phone and turned it up. The song playing was 'New Truck'. The three knew the chorus off by heart and had declared that this was their song. The chorus was about to start and the thing started singing. Honestly surprisingly they could all sing pretty darn well!

"Yeah that was before she slammed the door

Said, "It's over" then got lost

I need one she ain't climbed up in

That ain't played her favourite songs

Need some glass that we ain't fogged up

That her bare feet ain't been on

I need a hood that we ain't laid on, kissing 'til that sun came up

That's all that's wrong with this one, if you're looking you're in luck

I need a new truck"

They all screamed the lyrics before turning into three People rolling around the floor laughing their heads off when Luke, Being the tall lanky guy he was, fell off the chair when Jake shoved him. They spent the next Hour Singing along to Songs even when Jessy was Tacking up. These three were now the crew everyone wished to be friends with. They were just such a vibe and their friendship was amazing. She changed into a pair of Hitchley and harrow jeans and an Ariat Ventek Shirt. She had the Baxter Dolly boots on and a Circle L hat, Which she later changed to her Helmet. The white stitching on the jeans matched the white on the shirt perfectly. Jake stood holding Convoy and he looked at her. "You ready?", Which earnt a Sigh from Jess who had her Game face on. "Ready as I'll ever be-".

She took the gelding out to the Big Dusty Warm up arena, Happy that No one was in here at the moment. She extended the Geldings canter and worked on Making him soft and supple until she heard her name be called in the last 10 riders. She quietly made her way over to the side of the Camp and Watched the Brahman Cattle shift around nervously. These Cattle were tricky, Barely anyone was getting out of the camp and the best outside score at this point was a 82. 

She got called into the Camp, Letting Convoy Pick his way through the Cattle at a steady pace. She walked them around the Camp before the judge said she was good to go. She nodded her head and went for a Big Grey brahman heifer. The camp was tricky but she called the gate right at the right time. The made the first beg before she floored the Gelding towards the second, She narrowly got the second peg and as they Made their way to the Gate, The heifer stopped and spun around. Jess Sat deep, Convoy Coming to a dead stop as the Judge cracked the whip. She sighed. "Darn it". She muttered before giving Convoy a massive big pat as they walked back to the Truck.

A/N

I know there is probably gonna be a lot of Like people being like "Oh 13.27 isn't possible on a standard Barrel pattern" But down here where I live thats the standard Time :D Anywaysss, I spent ages writing this Chapter and i thought I would bring out of bit of Luke's protective side, Hence the 'Incident'. Anyways, hope You're all doing well